Auto-5 Light Twenty Belgium w/3" Chamber

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Ken Lewis, Mar 28, 2023.

1. Ken Lewis

Ken Lewis .22LR

2. Ken Lewis

Ken Lewis .22LR

I've asked a couple of shotgunner buddies if they have any 20 gauge 3" fired hulls, the theory being that a fired hull should not bottom out if I drop one in the breech end of 2.75" chamber barrel. I hope the good folks on here would agree that test is logical. If not, please comment.

I not going to fire the shotgun as it does not belong to me. I'll leave that up to the estate. I do want to thank all who have taken the time to share their experiences and opinions. It has been most helpful.
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I doubt you’ll get definitive results. A fired shell’s crimp will bend. For me, the mystery was over when you reported the proof mark as 20-70.
  4. Ken Lewis

Ken Lewis .22LR

I hope you are right. I feel that way too. I do recognize the 'relaxed' nature of the crimp end of a fired shell, and will try to find a plug I can insert to remedy that. Thank you.
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I think it's a bad idea to even try 3". Not sure I understand, but I seem to think you are stuck on this 3" thing. Why? There is nothing a 2 3/4 shell can't do. I don't think its a 3" chamber anyway. Good way to get a bad result.
  6. Ken Lewis

Ken Lewis .22LR

I don't want to fire a 3" shell. The barrel will be removed from the shotgun and an empty 3" hull dropped into the chamber to see if it bottoms out. If a fully extended fired hull inserted into the chamber results in the rim of the case rim not seating against the breech end of the barrel, that would be an indication the chamber is 2.75", or at least it would be to my thinking. No way I use detonation as a test.
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

My shell tester is one of my wife’s credit cards, cut down to size.
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Why your wife’s card?
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Why not?
  10. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Guess that’s one way to keep her from using it to buy shoes.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  11. Ken Lewis

Ken Lewis .22LR

You must be single.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  12. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

No not yet anyway. If I keep buying Auto 5’s I might be though
    Ken Lewis, Ranger6 and Rudolph31 like this.