Real world difference between 3” vs 2 3/4” 00 buckshot for home defense.

Discussion in 'Ammunition' started by Rgrigutis, Jul 26, 2022.

1. Rgrigutis

Rgrigutis Copper BB

Selling my old 870 2 3/4 “ and thinking of rem 870 dm w/3” capability. Anything really to be gained here in home defense situation. Thanks rick
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

In my opinion you would be gaining nothing especially for home defense. Shells more expensive. More recoil for the most part.
    KyBoB likes this.
  3. Coyote56

Coyote56 .410

Carried a Remington 870 for over 25 years..always used 2 3/4” shells. Still do but now in a Mossberg 930 SPX.
    0CEC66BB-9755-47AC-9894-28F995A82F25.jpeg
    Ranger6 likes this.
  4. Mley1

Mley1 Copper BB

Nothing really to gain in a home defense situation, just a few pellets. At the close ranges of home defense, the bad guy isn't going to notice. I actually prefer the 2 3/4 shells as they kick less.
  5. In a home defense situation with close quarters, I see no advantage with 3" shells. A 2 3/4" shell with 8 00 balls will reach out and touch someone just as effective as a 3" 00 with 12 balls. You will never look at the perp and say "I should have used 3" buckshot to make a 4 more holes." Dead is dead.
  6. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Nothing plain ole bird shot won't do inside a home, unless of course you are Bill Gates or Tesla boy, with a living room longer than an airport runway. Hell, a rubber bullet makes for a really bad day.
    Auzzie and utbrowningman like this.
  7. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Would be going with whatever gives you best control and least muzzle flip. Couldn’t imagine the Coroner be worried if pellet count was 8 or 12.
    Your lucky to be able to have and use firearms for home defence.
    My World 10000 miles South limited to possibly using a can of wasp spray or a fire extinguisher to defend yourself or home /family without getting locked up and charged .
    A Country gone completely soft in the head
    Look after and fight to keep your amendment rights or you be sorry like here.
    Luca Brasi and Abbeville like this.