Leather Butt Pad

Discussion in 'The Workbench: Builds And Modifications' started by Ranger6, Apr 23, 2022.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Nope not the picture. Not sure I can explain this but it seems like the hard plastic is perfect but the pad part is to proud. I’m not sure but I think I should have used a belt sander instead of the disc sander. Perhaps it’s the way I sanded it. Just seems like the sander doesn’t touch that part of the pad when grinding. I did pull the Winchester 37 out and looked at that pad and it does not look like that. I don’t remember which jig I used.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Last update on the leather pad. I ordered some more leather cause I wanted to try and make the area above in the picture look better, as I did not like it. Well hate to say it but it defeated me, lots of trouble wrapping the toe end of the stock and had some puckers that no matter what I done it just wasn’t right. If you are going to attempt watch rich coles video, especially the part where he says it took him lots of practice. I have found a guy in Texas that does great looking work, so he will be doing the leather pad as I want it to look perfect and a wise man once said, know your limitations. Will post some pictures of his work and the completed project.
    KyBoB likes this.
  3. Longshanx

Longshanx .22LR

Kudos to you for at least giving it a try. I would like to do mine but i'm not confident in my abilities. If you don't mind me asking what should one expect to pay for this little project?
  4. Ranger6

Around 500-600 to have done by someone. If you can do yourself then way cheaper. With enough practice I think you could learn to do it, but I got better things that I like to do.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  5. Ranger6

I have seen a different method of cutting the leather to glue to the back of the pad, but haven’t tried it. I may circle back to this in the future, I thought that part would be the least of the problem, but turns out it’s the hardest, with that toe being narrow it’s a big challenge to make it perfect.
  6. Ranger6

The other thing that I forgot was cutting the leather. It took me the first two pieces of leather to figure out the correct scissors to use, so I will post a picture to save the next guy the trouble. I tried several different pair, but these are the only one that works.

Attached Files:

7. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

I reckon see how the pro does it for grandads boomstick as you want perfect for it, and get few tips off him to circle back and re visit . Your 9/10 th there and it’s only seeing or learning the little trick for the toe puckering that’s holding you back now.
    They look super classy and custom. One of those pads would look pretty impressive on your A5.
    Besides how are we ever going to con you into doing a stretched cowhide period gun case unless you get the pad sorted first. Ha !
  8. Ranger6

Yes sir I was close and I’m sure if I could make money at doing them I would take the time to learn. That’s something you really don’t see much or maybe I’m not in that class to be able to afford such a jewel to have a bunch of them. Now the case, I might like to try that too. I would also like to try the wood pad thing. I seen one couple weeks ago and it was very attractive. I found this one on the web and it is just down right sexy.

Attached Files:

KyBoB likes this.
  9. Longshanx

Longshanx .22LR

That is nice! Might even be an easier project.
    Ranger6 likes this.