1938 12 gauge

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Man that looks damn good. What finish is that one? Burlap? Never thought of that. You got pictures of what that does? My stock is to glossy for my taste and was looking for something to knock it down, but never tried anything like that
  2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thanks buddy. So I tried a method that Cold Iron on 16ga.com does. So I left a few dings in this one because they were too close to the checkering.

I stripped in my usual acetone soak then sanded with 120 grit and into a clean bucket of acetone for a month or so to pull the oil out. I sanded to 220 which I think was a mistake because it didn’t take the stain the best. I then did two coats of Arts French Red waiting 24 hours between coats. Let it dry for another day and applied a coat of Minwax Antique Oil finish. With this finish you keep it wet for 15 minutes then wipe it off with a lint free cloth. The next day I wet sanded with 320 and applied another coat. I think 320 was a little too aggressive as the stock got lighter after the wet sand. The next 4 coats I wet sanded with the antique oil and created a slurry and wiped across the grain to fill the pores. I probably could have done a few more but comparing it to a few original Belgium stocks they aren’t all completely full either. After my final wet sanded coat I let it sit for two days and then knocked it down with 0000 brass wool. The final coat was hand rubbed. Cold Iron says to let it cure for a week then buff with burlap. I will try this and I am going to hit it with Renaissance wax when I’m done as this finish isn’t meant for the outdoors. So far I’m happy with the results. Just wanted it darker is the only thing I’d change
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Sorry for the terrible pics it’s hard to take a good picture indoors
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I was thinking I needed a better background for my pictures to keep up with your pictures. Ok now I got to do another stock, damn you guys! I seen you use brass wool, I’m guessing it doesn’t leave the fibers like steel wool or if it does they won’t rust? I have been using steel wool and so far it seems to be working best with the timberluxe.
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

The brass wool leaves behind more fibers than steel does but if I’m going through all this work I’m not going to worry about rust spots. My hands sweat and I use my guns in terrible conditions so I want to prevent rust. However I have my doubts of rust forming from using steel wool. I blow the stock off with compressed air before each coat.
    Ranger6 likes this.
  6. murphranch

murphranch .410

Damn, those look great. Awesome transformation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I already shared these photos with Ranger and he thinks I should call it. The instructions say to buff it with burlap in a week. I think I’m with Ranger and am going to leave it. It’s hard to tell in the pictures but it’s considerably less shiny than the set that Art did for me on the other gun in the pictures
    Ranger6 likes this.
  9. antman73

antman73 .410

I myself wouldn't touch it. They look great. At a later date if you really can't stand it you could beat some of the finish off.
  10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thanks I’m going to leave it the way it is.
    antman73 likes this.
  11. murphranch

murphranch .410

Or sell it to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  12. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Nice workmanship as usual. I would leave alone as they look great as is. Sorry to report a year has passes and I
    I have done no more with my 38 to earlier this post. Life always has something come along and get in the way.
    antman73 and Rudolph31 like this.
  13. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

This is extremely fine work. The results you get with your stocks are incredible. Thanks for detailing the entire process. Now I’ve got to try Minwax AND Timberluxe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    win7stw likes this.
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I actually changed my mind and buffed it with a white Scotchbrite pad. Looks pretty good. I’ll post pictures outside if it ever gets nice here
  15. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Finally got nice enough here to take pictures. Here it is after buffing with a white scotchbrite pad.
    Auzzie and Rudolph31 like this.