New Project

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by rcatastrophe, Jan 26, 2021.

1. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

It’s been awfully quiet lately, figure I should give an update. So this project was started on 1/26. Butt and fore end got stripped, sanded and stained with Art’s French Red. Got 9 coats of oil on the butt and 8 on the fore before the first sand on 2/14, the 7 and 6 coats before a 2nd sanding on 2/22. Six more coats each before a third sanding on 3/1. Weather and work slow me down. I may have missed some recordings of oil coats but I THINK right now I have 5 coats on the butt and 4 on the fore end now. I’m getting close to another sanding and then I’ll be on the home stretch. Here’s how we’re looking today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rudolph31, win7stw and Ranger6 like this.
  2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Looks amazing
  3. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

That looks awesome
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

looks great.
  5. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Thanks guys! My checkering tools should be on the way too. There was a monstrous delay from a back order at Wood Carvers Supply but they’ve assured me my blades and handle should be shipped soon. That’s going to be a whole new adventure of learning something new from scratch.

6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Be very patient, have good lighting, and a magnifier
  7. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Thanks again for sharing your log details along the journey. Very helpful
  8. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

This project is complete. Now to take this one out and have some fun with it. New life for this 1950 standard 16.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

win7stw, Rudolph31 and Ranger6 like this.
  9. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Looks amazing. You guys with all this beautiful wood is making me jealous. I can’t wait to see my wood complete with checkering.
    rcatastrophe likes this.
  10. murphranch

murphranch .410

I love it. Great job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    rcatastrophe likes this.
  11. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Quite impressive!!
    rcatastrophe likes this.
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Looks terrific! And I guess it went back together no problem?
  13. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Yep. Went right together once I got your guidance and used the right parts. I’d still like to install speed load on it but that’ll be later.

Rudolph31 likes this.
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Very nice. I have 5 forearms and two stocks that you should finish for me
  15. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

I feel exactly the same except opposite. The wood you do is top of the line, I want to send mine to you!! Specifically this 1948 with checkering so bad I don’t even have lines to follow.

[​IMG]

16. Biz

Biz 20g

Congratulations catastrophe, you did a very nice job. Are the stocks as shiny as they appear in the picture? Is the finish resistant to scratches? Concerning the checkering, I have seen a checkering tool that make several line at once. The tool ressembles à file. Have any of you seen that?
  17. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Thanks Biz. Look at post #61 and then #68. That’s the same wood, before when it had a really high shine and after, once I’d cut the gloss with progressive series of abrasives. Now it’s a nice satin shine.

The checkering tools I have are single line cutters.

18. Fletch in Cinti

Fletch in Cinti Copper BB

Wow, nice work mate! I enjoyed the posts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    rcatastrophe likes this.
  19. dred

dred Copper BB

noc

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
  20. Biz

Biz 20g

Dred, why Mark Twain? One of fathers of American literature, I love is writing. Apparently he said "last year you thought I was pretentious, next year, I promise, I will be perfect". Is that quote really from him?