Wood Refinishing Projects

Discussion in 'Browning Citori Shotgun' started by rcatastrophe, Dec 10, 2021.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

[​IMG]
    This is a set that I did twice. They match pretty close but I couldn’t get this one to take stain for some reason
    Ranger6 likes this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

So thought I would update on the timberluxe finish. I was on my last top coat and it was too shiny for me. It would have looked good on a newer model O/U but not an early 1900’s sxs.
    I removed all the timberluxe with 0000 steel wool down to a super smooth touch. I then used watco danish oil. I followed the instructions. And believe I am very close to the color and finish that I wanted. I did notice that some of the grain opened up when using the danish oil, so I will go back and attempt to refill it with the timberluxe and then a couple of coats of danish oil again. Here is what it looks like now.

Attached Files:

rcatastrophe and win7stw like this.
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

That looks very nice. Job well done
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Thanks Justin, I hope,trying to fill the little spots of open grain that’s left, I don’t screw it up. I have figured out when filling with the timberluxe, you can’t over do it. Put little dab and sand. Fill the pore and leave it. If you use to much you just wipe it out and you start over.
    I thought I had all the pores filled well, but either the danish oil opened some more or it wasn’t as good as I thought. Filling grain sucks and is a slow process.
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

JUST LEAVE IT ALONE
  6. Ranger6

I know right. I got 1 spot on each side. It’s gonna drive me crazy, the rest of it looks perfect.
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I was looking over all my guns with factory finishes the other day and a lot of them have some sort of flaw.

I’ve had a few stocks go south on me trying to get them perfect
  8. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

What do y’all use to clean the sticky residue left on the checkering after you remove the masking tape?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. Ranger6

I used rubbing alcohol on the Zoli with a toothbrush. I wet the toothbrush and not the wood. I didn't see any bad effects, but I had the checkering re-cut too.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  10. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

What’s “on the Zoil”? If that’s a typo I can’t figure it out and if it’s something I’m ‘sposed to know I don’t know it yet. Haha

In the meantime, look at the huge difference in glossiness between straight Pro Custom and after cutting it back with pumice and rottenstone. I used water + FFF, FFFF, and finally rottenstone and a coat of Renaissance wax.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

win7stw likes this.
  11. Ranger6

Wow that stock is the cat's meow buddy. I like the shiny stuff on some guns, but I truly believe you can't go wrong with a low sheen finish. Yes, it was a typo, Zoli is more correct. It's an Italian shotgun.
  12. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Thanks Ranger. The devil is in the details and I’m learning and getting better each time I start a new piece of wood. The latest, the Citori set I’m working on looks like is going to be the best so far. In the meantime, this set has “learnt” me that it’s best to use very small amounts of oil and do everything I can to keep oil from filling the space between the masking tape and the wood. It’s murder trying to get that cleaned up.

13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I usually use a single point cutter to clean out the border. Since I’ve switched to yellow frog tape I don’t have any residue on the checkering
  14. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Not wood but slightly related. When we finish these it’s hard to feel good about putting on the original butt plates with all the holes and chipped off pieces. Found a couple options, a place called Vintage Grips and then eBay. The plates are reproductions, anyone replaced their butt plate with one. The eBay ones are $7 cheaper.

15. Ranger6

I have looked at them on eBay. They seem to look pretty good. I had a new pad put on my skb when it went in for trigger work. When I got it back it looked like a different gun. I think a new butt plate would make it look great.
  16. Ranger6

Got the Stevens back today, so thought I would update what the wood looks like that I finished with danish oil. I think it is 90% where I want it. The butt pad isn’t to my liking, but it was the one used during fitting of the shotgun, so eventually I will replace it with one like it or maybe one more time period correct if I can find one I like. The case colors and rust blue was done by Buck Hamlin. He also done the checkering.

Attached Files:

win7stw likes this.
  17. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Very nice. Did he do the case hardening too?
  18. Ranger6

Thanks. Yes sir he did
  19. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

I think it looks fantastic and I like the pad too. It’s a modern looking touch on a vintage looking shotgun. The wood is beautiful. It looks like a brand new 2022 gun.

20. Ranger6

Thank you sir, I actually found out that I can shoot it. If you remember when I started it was about 8-10 inches left out of both barrels. I pulled out a 21 last weekend. I’m still learning the two triggers, and the mount I have to really focus on. Sxs are a different animal. The trigger fiasco cost me 3 targets.
    Sorry the pad has to go. I have a tool coming hopefully this weekend that’s going to help with that. I will post a picture and see if you guys can figure out where I’m going with the pad. Win7stw will not be allowed to post the answer, he already knows.
    I will post the progress as I learn it. It won’t be a fast project, but will get there.