Locking Block Latch Differences

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by rcatastrophe, Jan 16, 2022.

1. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Putting my 1950 standard 16g back together because I’ve finished the wood. I’m stuck. While the wood was getting ready I played with the receiver, tried to convert it to a 2-piece carrier so I could enjoy speed load. Installed, I wasn’t able to manually cycle the bolt, so I put it down and now several months later I have a stack of parts as I go to put in the one piece carrier. I have two different springs and two different styles of locking block latches and can’t remember what goes with what. Which spring and which latch goes with the one-piece carrier?

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  3. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Thanks I knew you’d see this!

Rudolph31 likes this.
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Why wouldn't it cycle? Was the two-piece carrier getting stuck up?
  5. antman73

antman73 .410

Easy Peasy. It’s the top one.
    Easy for you to say Rudolph31.
    rcatastrophe and Rudolph31 like this.
  6. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

I dunno. I was using the 16g 2-piece carrier and the right latch. Maybe I’d had too much Jim Beam when I was putting it together!? I just couldn’t get the bolt to pull back beyond about halfway. I’ll give it a try again someday. I know these old guns can have certain parts interchange but I think I’ve also read it’s not always plug and play.

7. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

For sure not plug and play. I’ve converted a couple and my 36 was a real pain. It works great, but took awhile, no Jim Beam involved. Seems that the older ones take a little(a lot) more work.
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

It seems to me like a big PITA for a tiny bit of convenience. I appreciate Speed Load on my guns that have it, but don’t miss it on my guns that don’t. Unless there’s another Auto-5 on the field that does.
  9. Ranger6

I like speed load a lot. If you have carpal tunnel like I do and have worked with your hands for the last 20+ years it helps. I can do about 2 rounds of skeet without speed load, then I pay for the next week. Speed load I can shoot all day.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  10. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

I like it a lot too. Took this one out yesterday and it works great. It’ll be a while before I take this one down again so for the time being I’ll play with it as is.

Rudolph31 likes this.