Little Bit-Brass

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Ranger6, Jul 1, 2021.

1. KyBoB

KyBoB .410

Forgot to add, if you know any metallic reloaders, I’m sure they’d help you out with a few primers. I would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Sure can’t wait to retire so I can have all this free time to spend at the range.
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Yea I’m sure I can shake the bushes, we use to have a whole group of reloaders here in Houston, Dallas and ft worth. The guy that set it up is a good friend. He had simple rules, be polite, honest and don’t post some shit that is useless, and be fair. He got tired of kicking people out of the group for those things and shut it down. Sucks, there is always one shit head that can’t play well with others
    KyBoB likes this.
  4. Ranger6

Update on the 444 brass- it sucks, there I said it, so moving forward I did a primer change and no better effect. The process I used to load these was to omit the fiber wad and use a 410 wad for the shot column, sitting on top of the over powder card. They fire fine, but sound off, I’m losing pressure as the over powder card isn’t sealing as well as the fiber wad. I wanted to add a fiber wad and then the 410 wad, but I am running out of case, so that’s not gonna work either. I have reached a brick wall with 572 powder at 11.2 grains. I have ordered some different wads to see if I can go back to fiber and a wad to protect the shot column. They are couple weeks out from BP. Back in the old days they used something called Kwick-sert. It’s an idea, but not sure I wanna jump down that hole. I have one more powder that I may try before I mark the 444 case as a no go, for my intended purpose.
    KyBoB likes this.
  5. Ranger6

Update, the last update before these are sent off for testing. The load process has changed yet again, but this time I have fixed the issues that were holding this load in the no go category. If your following along the fps was lacking and the lead shot was key holing, it was easy to spot on the pattern board. The shot deforming going down the barrel I believe caused it all. There are only two changes. I stayed with the 11.2 grains of 572. 1 over powder card.(430), next I went back to the fiber wad(.430). Then I added a shot protector. Then added the shot 1/2oz #9. Then an over shot card(.430) and glued it in with hot glue. You will have about 1/4 to the top of the case to fill.
    I have re patterned these and the pattern has opened up slightly, allowing a clean break on the skeet field.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    win7stw and KyBoB like this.
  6. KyBoB

KyBoB .410

Looking forward to the results.

7. Ranger6

Some info if you decide to do this:
    With 572 powder you can use 11.2-11.3 grains. If you go to 11.5 gains the case with get stuck in the chamber, at least on my citori. You will get better results if you resize the case after each firing. The wads in .430 seal the best, they are hand load only, cause they are a tight fit. You will need some way to protect your shot. The 410 wad in the case would have worked, but the case is not long enough for the wads I tried. Claybuster, Federal and Remington. The over powder card and fiber wads are at 80lbs of pressure. The wads I use are waxed with tallow. The tallow helps seal the case. The 572 powder is a clean burn of the loads are followed as above. I will post the test results when I receive them.
    KyBoB likes this.
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Glad to hear you have a winner. Is Precision doing the testing for you?
  9. Ranger6

Negative. They don’t do brass. Tom will be doing it.
  10. Ranger6

The 444 cases went out today to Tom Armbust for testing. 5 bucks a round. I enclosed a money order in the box. I stated what they were loaded with. I shipped thru fed ex. I bubble wrapped the cases. Then put them in a box inside of a 6x6x6 box. The gal behind the counter opened the box to inspect, but only opened the one box. You will need a label on each side, that measures 4x4. This label is called the limited quantity label. According to fed ex web site it has to be 100mm x 100mm(4.0x4.0). I asked if it was labeled correctly and she said it works, so if you ship ammo to be tested, may wanna take extra labels. I bought stickers off Amazon.

Attached Files:

KyBoB and win7stw like this.
  11. KyBoB

KyBoB .410

Good info. Also, what are you expecting the velocity and or pressure to be??
    I looking forward to the results.

12. Ranger6

Kybob: I would expect very close to 1200 fps and around 11,800 psi
    KyBoB likes this.
  13. Ranger6

Little update on the brass. Just got off the phone with Tom. He shot the 444 brass today and average speed is 1380 fps with a deviation of 50 fps. The test rig he has is for 3” shells and the 444 are shy of 2.5”, so Tom has a friend in Florida that is making a 2.5” test barrel just for these shells. Tom will drill the cases and send them back to me to be reloaded and then sent to Florida to be tested for pressure in the 2.5” test barrel. I wasn’t expecting them to be that fast, but do shoot other 410 shells at 1350 fps. So once I have a good pressure I can decide on a course of action.
    Let me just say that Tom Armbust is a really nice guy and he will be my go to guy for ballistic testing.
    KyBoB likes this.
  14. KyBoB

KyBoB .410

Good info. Appreciate you taking the time.

15. Ranger6

Got the official results and the cases back today

Attached Files:

KyBoB likes this.
  16. KyBoB

KyBoB .410

Looks like great velocity. I don’t see pressure readings?? Did I overlook it?

17. Ranger6

Read a couple post up, they have to go back out to a guy in Florida that made a 2 1/2” chamber test barrel. I need to resize, load again just like before and then wait for him to test, then we will have exact numbers. Pressure and fps. The guy in Florida didn’t want me to re-size if the cases fit in my citori but the cases expanded shooting in 3 “ chamber so the .430 wads are to loose and I will not get a good pressure reading. I called Tom and he agreed that they need to be re-sized and loaded like before. Then I can adjust from there. I don’t have .450 wads and it would be 2 weeks anyway. The re-sizing process takes a whole 2 sec anyway, so depending on your chamber you may need to re-size every time or you may not.
    KyBoB likes this.
  18. KyBoB

KyBoB .410

Ahh yes... I remember now.

19. Ranger6

Stay tuned. I know it’s a slow process, but I will get there. I will be loading some 12/16 brass in the near future after I finish the 444 cases. I’m gonna squeeze a couple other loads in there also, maybe 2 1/2 plastic cases. Just haven’t decided what yet and if they will be rolled or crimped. I’m working on adding a plastic base wad to a brass 12 gauge case. I have loaded and shot it several times. It works just fine is all I will say for now. More on that in a later post.
    Think Berdan primer
    KyBoB likes this.
  20. Ranger6

Ok got the pressure results today. Wow can’t believe they are that hot. Lesson to be learnt is have them tested. You may not like the results, but it’s the only way to know for sure. So back to the loading bench I go.
    The plan after talking to Tom and Bruce is to load a couple more with 4 grains less and some with 2 grains less to see if I can get a good idea of how the 572 powder reacts in the brass cases.

Attached Files:

KyBoB likes this.