20 Gauge Super Lightweight

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Sep 4, 2021.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Made my gun a little more user friendly for me. [​IMG]
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

This was a new one to me. I’ve torn down a lot of Auto 5’s and I’ve never seen powder like this in the trigger assembly. This picture was after wiping a bunch of it off. I haven’t taken the rest of the gun apart to see how dirty the rest of it is. Any thoughts on how this could happen?[​IMG]
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Powdered what? I hope it’s not aluminum.
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Unburnt gun powder
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

That’s what I initially thought. But it doesn’t look like any powder that I’ve ever seen. Did you put a match to it?

Could incomplete powder burn be the result of too light of a payload? The contents spilling out inside the gun as the bad shell was manually ejected.

I don’t know but that’s my best guess! Glad the gun isn’t “making metal” as we say in aviation.
  6. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

incomplete powder burn can be for many reasons, payload, not enough pressure or even wrong powder for the job. Some powder is just dirty. Go shoot some federal shells and then look down the barrel. You will see powder residue. Nothing wrong with it. It wipes right out, but never had it get into the trigger like that. If you had a poor choice of wad/hull you could get powder migration, but for that much to get into the trigger you would surely know.
    Auzzie, KyBoB and Rudolph31 like this.
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Since we’re talking about his gun, I’m bumping this to the top.
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

9. Biz

Biz 20g

Good idea,
    Do we know for sure the year of Justin’s shotgun
  10. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Adding to Rangers comment imported powders when used in shells can do strange things like this in different Countries ,climates and temperatures depending on their original design and origin country.
  11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

No but my notes show those barrel markings — the address and the Made in Belgium moved to the right side in 1977.