Refinished Auto 5 lumber

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, May 13, 2020.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Yes. I ordered two handles so I don’t have to swap cutters. I use the 60 degree first on the borders to clean it up. They plug up pretty fast with the oil and tape residue. Then for the final clean up I use the 75 degree cutter
  2. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Justin, when you’re working on the checkering how do you work those first couple lines? I’ve always masked all the checking off but those first couple lines, around the borders of the checkering, are like a transition from the stock to where all the fine checkering goes. Would I just stain this and rub in a few coats of oil?

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Yes I stain it with the French Red stain and not the filler. Then I work some thinned oil into the checkering with a tooth brush. I only do a couple coats
  4. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Ok thanks. I was probably making it harder in my head. I’ve got a few near to that stage and lost some confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. antman73

antman73 .410

Justin what do you thin the oil with?
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I use mineral spirits. Not 100 percent sure that’s the right thing to do but it’s worked well for me
    antman73 likes this.
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

If you are heavy handed like I normally am and the thinned finish gets out of the checkering I quickly wipe it off with a lint free rag
  8. Bruski

Bruski .410

"I work some thinned oil into the checkering with a tooth brush."

Just out of curiosity, whose toothbrush do you use?
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I use my own. I dip it it Hoppes No 9 before I brush my teeth
    Rudolph31 and Ranger6 like this.