Higher Pressure or +P 380ACP Ammo

Discussion in 'Browning 1911 - 380 Handgun' started by Drewz21, May 3, 2021.

1. Drewz21

Drewz21 .22LR

Does anyone know if the 1911-380 can safely shoot any of the +P labeled ammo from the few manufacturers that make it? Such as Buffalo Bore.

Thank you.
  2. Drewz21

Drewz21 .22LR

I just ordered a couple of boxes of Buffalo Bore +P ammo to try out. I'll post how it goes.
  3. Drewz21

Drewz21 .22LR

Got my new Buffalo Bore ammo in today. Plan on trying it out in a couple of weeks. Will let everyone know the results.

Attached Files:

4. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

How does the Buffalo bore shoot?
  5. Drewz21

Drewz21 .22LR

Hey, sorry for the late response. Work's been busy.
    The Buffalo Bore shot great through both of my 1911-380 4.25 inch barrel guns. I shot 5 rounds of each type and never had FTFs or FTEs. I also used 4 different factory magazines during the testing.

I did run into some issues with my Caldwell Chronograph, but I'm posting my results here.

Brand & Type Advertised Specs Chronograph Average
    Buffalo Bore 100 Grain Hard Cast +P - Flat Nose 1150 FPS 1125
    Buffalo Bore 80 Grain Lead Free +P Barnes TAC-XP- Flat Nose 1275 FPS 1250
    Buffalo Bore 95 Grain +P FMJ - Flat Nose 1150 FPS 1115
    Buffalo Bore 90 Grain +P JHP 1200 FPS 1175
    PMC - 90 Grain FMJ - Round Nose 961 FPS 980
    Winchester Training 95 Grain FMJ - Flat Nose 950 FPS 960

I added some standard over the counter ammo as a baseline. I had some Fiocchi in there as well but my chronograph stopped working correctly by then. I also tried using my Springfield 911 with the 2.70 inch barrel but couldn't get accurate readings by then.
    I was very impressed with the velocity of the Buffalo Bore, especially the 80 grain lead free. The felt recoil wasn't too much more than with the standard ammo but it was felt more in the smaller Springfield.

I would absolutely use this ammo for self-defense as it has more power behind it than standard over the counter rounds. I recommend it.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.

Safe shooting!
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  6. Drewz21

Drewz21 .22LR

I meant to upload some pics of my setup too.

Attached Files:

7. wkrp4me

wkrp4me Guest

Thanks…helpful info for a newbie here like me.
  8. Coyote56

Coyote56 .410

E5E3B2AC-EE73-4F26-A0E7-A1A7D32890FC.jpeg
    The .380 platform usually is a rather lightweight one. Hence I’ll carry a standard load with a 90 grain (+/-) controlled expansion projectile.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2022
  9. wkrp4me

wkrp4me Guest

Nice set up! We don’t even have a holster yet, but are researching now.
    We are still in the learning curve stage regarding what our new 1911 380 compact shoots best. So far we’ve shot about 450 rounds total.

The “Good”:
    We have had good results with 95 grain FMJ Winchester, Browning, Herter’s (Apparently all Winchester production), and Fed American Eagle.
    Also good results with Hornady CD 90 HP and Sig V-Crown 90 HP.
    RN, RNFP, and JHP all work fine.

The “not as good but useable”:
    Occasional feed issues with Sig 1oo 9rain g FMJ, Double Tap 100grain FMJ
    Our grip plus sometimes using the slide lock to close on a fresh mag may be big part of the trouble. We will try both these items again.

The “bad”:
    Really frustrating Fail-to-Feed, Fail-to-Eject, and Stove-Pipes using Freedom 95 grain FMJ.

We shot approx 100 rounds yesterday using Browning and Herter’s with 3 Fail-to-Feed, and all 3 when we reloaded a full mag and used the slide lock to close the chamber, rather than inserting the mag into a closed chamber and then racking the slide. We are very satisfied with the gun at this point. Accuracy and shooting comfort are outstanding.

Hope this info is of some value to other new Browning 380 shooters.
    KyBoB likes this.