Refinished Auto 5 lumber

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, May 13, 2020.

1. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

So with every additional coat this labor of love gets better and better. I’ve lost count of total costs but I’ve built it up twice and wet sanded it gently to the point it’s almost 100% smooth as glass. Dust happens but through my sanding I’ve learned I can get rid of it. I think my question is, when I get to the point where I think I’ve got enough coats of oil on, will the rotten stone and felt get rid of the dust like the sandpaper has and leave me with a perfectly smooth less glossy finish?

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ranger6 and win7stw like this.
  2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

The rotten stone and felt should knock the shine down and smooth it out. However I’ve been to scared to try it so I’ve left mine glossy. One of these days I’ll try it. I’ll let you be the guinea pig
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Forgot to mention that forearm looks fantastic
  4. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Yeah I think my wife thinks one moment I’ve gone crazy rubbing on wood every day but also probably thankful I don’t have worse habits.

Thanks for the encouragement, I’m excited to see how it turns out in the end. I’ll go slow with the rotten stone since I don’t have a bunch of do’s and don’t threads to read.

5. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Watching progress from the other side of the world. It looks great.
  6. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Damn between you and Justin I shouldn’t have to worry about wood being finished. That looks awesome.
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Rob you need to try it. However your hands might not appreciate it
  8. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Brother after 20 years turning wrenches I’m not sure my hands will take it either. I did some wood on my 20 gauge o/u. Took like 2 months and lots of fu.. came out of my mouth. Not sure I have the patience to do again

Attached Files:

KyBoB, Rudolph31 and win7stw like this.
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Damn you. You’ve been holding out. That’s beautiful. Well done sir
    Ranger6 likes this.
  10. Ranger6

Kinda of funny now that I think about it, reading you guys dust comments. I had the same issue, so I made a drying cabinet. Worked good. It now sits in the shed with table saw on top of it. Was either that or the wads/ hulls out there.
  11. Ranger6

I may have another addiction. Is it ok to put hulls/ wads in the pantry? I’m out of room, no more spare rooms.
    win7stw likes this.
  12. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

It’s fine. I understand the storage issues, I have more hulls than I’ll ever use in my life. Hopefully my boys use them up someday
  13. Ranger6

I’m sure they will. That may not appreciate it now, but as they get older they will. Both of my daughters loved to reload. My youngest still likes it.
  14. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Two things just occurred to me. I can use the next big Amazon box that comes to create a dust/drying cabinet to help out with the floating fibers that are driving me mad. Next, I thought I was imagining that my wood is getting darker and darker. It’s the oil...duh.

15. Ranger6

Yep it will work. Make sure it’s really clean if it has those peanut things in it and one word of advice. Make sure whatever your gonna hang your wood on in the box is really secure. When your stock falls off your really gonna be saying four lettered words( ask me how I know).
    KyBoB likes this.
  16. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

I can imagine. I hope when the fall happened it didn’t bounce and roll too long! Yikes. That’s been a big fear for me.

Your cautious warning inspired me and I made a couple stands tonight. I figured out the cabinet too so now I have a solution to help with the dust. Probably going to work up the nerve to tackle the stock soon.

[​IMG]

win7stw likes this.
  17. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Great idea. I might have to steal it and make some tomorrow
  18. Ranger6

Nice. I like it. Well worth the time. The slightest bump on new finish that’s not cured yet is a nightmare. Mine was true oil so fixable, but still no fun.
  19. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Would it be a soak in the purple power? I guess it would have to be as I sit here pondering options.

20. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Since it seems like the fore end is going to come out pretty well I’ve started on the butt stock. I’ll shoot some progress pics once it starts coming together. There’s some darkening you can’t see from this angle up front where it meets the gun. I’ll remove that oil and then get started. The scratch is not as bad as I thought it would be once the finish came off but it’s my biggest worry.

[​IMG]

KyBoB likes this.