Restoration

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Dec 2, 2020.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

My 1944 or 45 Type II will be coming home from Arts with just a tune up. I will be sending it out to Glenrock blue for a slow rust blue. Jim Blair will be re-cutting the engravings. One of their guys is probably going to refinish the wood and re-cut the checkering. It’s not going to be cheap but I think it’ll be sexy when it’s done. They figure 4-5 months before I get it back
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Not bad on the time frame. For sure wanna see pictures when it’s done. Hopefully this next year I can get the 1909 off for a re-do. Really interested in seeing these guys rust blue. Would be nice to find a one stop shop that does it right.
  3. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

This’ll be worth the wait. I’m very interested in how it comes out and what it costs so I can consider if I want to do the same with my ‘55.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

I for one will be interested in the results in rust blue finish you get done to make a few comparisons. .Before and after shots side by side would make a good post down track
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I had a really good chat with them. They agree that the Auto 5’s should be rust blued. I was quoted $700 for the bluing. $400 for the wood refinish and checkering recut. I’m waiting to here on the engraving cost.
    Auzzie likes this.
  6. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Do you know if they re stamp the barrel markings?
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I told them I want all markings preserved on the receiver and barrel
  8. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Worked with rust blue in toolroom scenario more so than guns and yes you should get a beautiful, durable result. Like your lumber it’s the effort and attention behind the scenes plus a little magic that gets the finish.
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

This restoration probably isn’t going to happen. Jim said to have the engraving recut and deepened will be around $5000-$10000. I need to learn how to engrave I guess. Didn’t realize it was that expensive
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Justin,

I believe if you’re rust bluing, it can be done over the top of the previous blue. That means it doesn’t need polishing. Which means your engraving won’t need to be recut. There’s a YouTube video on rust blue that I’ll post if I can find it.
  11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

12. Ranger6

That’s bullshit. Look elsewhere Justin. Maybe have them do prep work, send it to get it engraved and then back to them for rust blue.
    win7stw likes this.
  13. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

That’s outrageous. I thought I heard in one of Art’s videos that cleaning up engraving added about $300 depending on how much they had to get done. If that’s correct you could almost get a full restoration done there and then get it rust blued after. Maybe that wouldn’t work because they’d have to polish of the bluing at the other place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Rudolph thanks for the video. I really want to have the engraving fixed since it got washed out by the previous polish/re-blue. I need to get on the horn before Art sends it back. Maybe I can have them prep and cut the engraving and have Glenrock blue it
  15. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Win7 be careful when people talk about rust overbluing on existing. Inconsistency with the forming of the velvet particles size between new and old can give you density blotches that be under certain light and angles can be seen. There are lots of curved and angled surfaces on auto 5 and broad surface areas.Depends on how fussy people are and what the item is . Yes it can be done but with all the effort you want to put into re engraving etc. I wouldn’t do it. From what I have seen with the wood re finishing you have more than enough talent and patience to take on rust bluing
  16. Ranger6

My .02 on this. It’s not really the cost, I looked into it. It’s the cost effective part that gets you. Not all the guns are rust blued, so if your gonna do it, might as well do hot blue also, which is where the cost comes in. Not to mention the time. Not to mention that almost any older gun will need the engraving re cut to be to standard. I’m pretty sure I know Justin well enough to know he wants perfection or as close as possible, especially if your paying for it. Skill and patience he has, however, rust blue is kinda an art like color case colors. If you screw the pooch, you can always re do, but that requires buffing maybe and then there goes the engraving if not careful. I have a real problem with a 5-10,000 dollar estimate. Shit I can only think what my customers would think if I gave them a 5000 dollar spread. So I’m gonna say one more time. BULLSHIT.
    I just had my engraving re cut on my LC Smith. It’s old and original. But engraving wasn’t clear and fresh. Sent it off to local guy here in Texas, preacher of all people. He re cut it and made it look like it was brand new. It don’t stand out, just looks good. He ask me if I had plans to restore and I said yes, he said that’s important cause when you do the rest I want it to look good, so I will re cut it to look good now and then. I will say he done an excellent job. It cost 600.
    Now Jim Blair is good, I’ve seen his work but to give an estimate like that means I don’t wanna deal with that person. Don’t mind paying for quality, but damn I’m not an idiot.
  17. Ranger6

Justin did he ask for pictures before he gave estimate? Everyone that I have worked with has ask for pictures, very detailed. Then they come back with estimate. Ok I’m done being pissed off. I got it covered for both of us.
  18. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thanks I could probably do it but I have no interest so I know I wouldn’t do a good job.
  19. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

He did ask for pictures. He prefers to see the gun in person but I’m not going to ship a gun out just for an estimate. My local guy said 3000. 3k to 10k just isn’t going to happen on a gun that wouldn’t sell for that if it was NIB. It blows my mind that these gun were all hand engraved when they were built. I realize time is money and not everyone can do it but damn it’s not that elaborate of engraving. I’m with you Rob I’ll probably just hot blue it and learn to like it. You are right, I do want it as close to perfect as it can be.

Either I have Art do it all or I try and find a more reasonable engraver. I’m about to say the hell with it and make it my go to hunting gun and use it hard
  20. Biz

Biz 20g

I followed this post and I am surprised if not flabbergasted by the price asked for restoration. I think some restorers are taking advantage of the popularity of the Auto-5. I think you call that gauging.
    I will not spend over 3000,00$ for a restoration, instead, I will watch and purchased an example in very good shape.
    I have been working with wood now for over 30 years. Looking at the work Justin did on his stock, I would say that he should do the bluing himself. Metal preparation is more forgiving then wood. I am sure he will not have difficulties to tackle rust bluing.