S&W Hillary Holes

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Rob poston, May 9, 2017.

1. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Has anybody else noticed that Smith & Wesson has started using lockout holes and MIM parts in their revolvers now? Thoughts?
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Been that way for quite some time Rob.

Don't own one with the "Hillary Holes"...

I noticed S&W has cut corners too. All my Smifs are old school.
    Rob poston likes this.
  3. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Hate to hear it. My only two Smith & Wessons do not have them. They are older, as well. I sure hate to see them standardize these things. Oh well.

Admittingly, I am not a real big S&W revolver fan, but after buying my Shield, I began looking at them a little more. When I saw their current line, I noticed the hole in every frame.
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

I was into S&W at the early stages of my collection...owning 5 at one point...down to 4 now.

Well built back in the day...the addition of any more seems unlikely...as I got what I want covered.

Though I do have an eye out for a 4" blued Model 19 Combat Magnum...

The 6" version was my very first "new" gun back in the 70's...and I regret selling it.
    Rob poston likes this.
  5. Norske

Norske .410

All three of mine have pinned barrels, a sign of better quality in the past.
  6. Norske

Norske .410

:goodpost: I'm not a fan of crush-fit barrels either.
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’ve got a Model 29 that’s a couple years old. It’s got the hole, the barrel isn’t pinned, and the chambers aren’t recessed. That said, it’s a beautiful gun and a great shooter. I understand that it’s stronger than previous versions. And brand new for a lower price than a used model.
  8. Coyote56

Coyote56 .410

82608189-0C0F-4797-A318-B6517C814BFF.jpeg
    5A1BE852-9A51-4CDF-BFEF-0AE5751E556E.jpeg
    Couple older S&W specimens.
    The Model 66 is a “no dash” version. Pinned barrel, recessed cylinder. First production run. The Model 442 is an early/mid-90s vintage. Both nice pieces of work