Should serial numbers match?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by murphranch, Jun 25, 2020.

1. murphranch

murphranch .410

Are the numbers on the barrel and the receiver supposed to match on an original A-5, or any gun?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Yes, they should match.
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

FN stopped applying the serial number to barrels in 1953. But those unmarked barrels still have a number that is often mistaken for a serial number. When marked, the serial number is on the barrel ring.

For Auto-5’s made after 1953, it can be very difficult to tell if it has the original barrel. But it’s often easy to spot one that isn’t by the other markings.
    Ranger6 likes this.
  4. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

One can determine if a particular barrel is appropriate for the rest of the gun based on markings on the barrel, but using that process will only get you within a few years-generally speaking. The bible goes into detail regarding how barrels were marked differently over the years.
  5. Nigel Martin

Nigel Martin .22LR

Interestingly, my 1965 world market 12 gauge has matching serial numbers on receiver and barrel ring. It’s in the 65110nn range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

For every rule for Brownings , there seems to be exceptions. Usually it’s within a year or two. 1965 is amazingly outside the norm. Thanks.

And Happy Independence Day!
  7. Nigel Martin

Nigel Martin .22LR

Happy Indy Day to you all in the US! We should have been in Boston this week celebrating with our American friends - who would have thought the Workd would be this whacked up when we booked the trip last year?

Rudolph31 likes this.
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Sorry your trip was spoiled, Nigel. Maybe you can dump some tea in the ocean...
  9. murphranch

murphranch .410

Reason I asked was I have a 12 gauge Special Steel Magnum that the numbers on barrel and receiver are different by a couple hundred.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I have a 1953 standard 12. The serial number on the barrel matches the receiver, but the digits on the barrel extension are off by a few.

What year is your Magnum?
  11. Nigel Martin

Nigel Martin .22LR

That wouldn’t be PC now, would it?

Rudolph31 likes this.
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Never in my life have I been accused of being PC.
  13. murphranch

murphranch .410

52 or 53 I can’t remember

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  14. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Are you sure it’s a Magnum? That model was introduced in 1958, and the serial number should have a prefix consisting of one or two digits and the letter V. One digit for the years 1958-68, then two for 1968-76.

None of these guns should have a serial number on the barrel, though Nigel’s revelation makes anything possible.
  15. Nigel Martin

Nigel Martin .22LR

Serial number on my receiver [​IMG]
    And matching number on barrel ring shoulder[​IMG]

16. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Thanks, Nigel. I believed you, but it’s good to see the pictures. Hopefully, Murphranch will post pictures of his.
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  17. murphranch

murphranch .410

Here's what I got. SN#0V 28891 on the receiver and V28866 on barrel. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Thank you. The 0V prefix makes it a 1960 Magnum Twelve.

In my original post I mentioned that when they put the serial number on the barrel, it appeared on the barrel ring, but that there was another number that could be mistaken for a serial number. V28865 is not a serial number. No reference explains it, but my guess is that it’s an inventory control number. V for magnum, and probably the 28,865th barrel produced. No attempt was made to match it to the receiver, and it's just a coincidence that it’s so close.

After WWII, World Market guns were serialized differently by FN than Browning imports. And though Nigel’s gun is surprising, I’d be more surprised to see a serial number on a post 1953 barrel in the US.
    murphranch likes this.
  19. murphranch

murphranch .410

Appreciate the info. You guys have been lots of help here. This was the first double spring Browning that I had seen. Picked it up at a pawn shop for $350. The guy said it was a single shot automatic. It was set up to shoot 3 inch heavy loads and wouldn't cycle light loads. I kinda giggled all the way home with another Browning.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  20. antman73

antman73 .410

Does any of these numbers and markings add up to anything on my A5 Light? I know theres no serial number there. A5 barrel1.jpg A5 barrel2.jpg A5 barrel3.JPG