Sweet 16

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Area' started by RPGR90s, Feb 26, 2020.

1. RPGR90s

RPGR90s Copper BB

Hello everyone. I picked up a new Sweet 16 on Monday and couldn't be more delighted. Many years ago I used to shoot skeet with my older brother who had a Browning SemiAuto 20 ga. It was a beautiful gun, and I always had my best scores with it. It's build quality, detail left a lasting impression on me. Sadly, he passed away some years ago and the gun disappeared per the wife's inheritance. :(

About twenty years ago, I bought a Remington 870 12 ga. pump but it just wasn't for me. The recoil was hard to get used to so I sold it. Fast forward to last Monday, and I was looking to get back into skeet shooting so stopped at a local retailer thinking I would get a Remington 870 pump in 20 ga. or similar. I held several guns, worked the actions and decided it would be nice to get an auto, and discovered the Sweet 16. I still have my antique Winchester Model 37 (red letter), that was my mainstay skeet gun, so always loved the 16's.

Handling the Browning, I was immediately impressed at it's lightness and balance. The slide movement was noticeably smoother than some of the other cheaper Auto guns. I could just feel the quality.

I told the salesman I would think about it, but on my way out I sad, "screw it", turned around and took it home. :) Got a great deal too.

I haven't been to the range with it yet but eagerly looking forward to it. I'm finally a Browning owner!
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Congratulations. Be sure to post pictures of it over on the Auto-5 forum.

By the way, if your gun was made before WWII, it started life with a 2 9/16” chamber. Many have been converted to 2 3/4”, but if yours wasn’t, you’ll need to buy or load short shells. It’s easy to tell from the serial number, but if it actually says “Sweet Sixteen” on the receiver, it’s 1948 or later.
    RPGR90s likes this.
  3. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Southwest Idaho says welcome!!! As a fledgling A5 admirer myself, you will soon discover they have a soul. Buy another safe now!!!

(Rumor has it if you soak it in a barrel of water it will swell up to a 12 gauge. I haven't tried it myself, but it makes sense.)
    RPGR90s likes this.
  4. ripjack13

ripjack13 Resident Sawdust Maker Staff Member Administrator

:welcome:

Howdy, welcome to the club.
    Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself.
    Please, feel free to chime in on any conversation, anywhere...
    Cheers!
    :cheers: