Sight base screw loosening, Buckmark

Discussion in 'Browning Mark Handgun' started by Alex Warren, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Alex Warren

Alex Warren Copper BB

I have had trouble recently with my Buckmark 22 jamming ( was not ejecting shells); a guy at range looked at it and found the front screw on the sight base was loose, tightened it and no problem. Another day at range and same thing started happening after about 50 rounds; I checked when I got home and found the screw loose again. I read someone had the same problem and he mentioned Locktite; I don't know whether he was joking but Locktite would seem to be a problem each time it was taken apart for cleaning. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I forget which Locktite is which, but one kind is permanent and the other isn’t.
  3. Alex Warren

Alex Warren Copper BB

Thanks, maybe he was thinking the temporary stuff. It still seems to me that there should be some fix other than Loctite , appreciate your come back.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’ve kept a bottle of clear nail polish in my toolbox for the past 30 years. Keeps screws tight.
  5. Alex Warren

Alex Warren Copper BB

Thanks, doesn't the nail polish build up?
  6. Tim Lange

Tim Lange .22LR

The Buck Mark manual says you do not need to disassemble for normal cleaning. It does make it much easier to do a thorough job though.
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I suppose it might, just like any other thread locker might. If it happens, clean with solvent and reapply.
  8. Alex Warren

Alex Warren Copper BB

Thanks, guess I will give it or the Loctite a try
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’m going to recommend the Locktite. Nail polish is an expedient that if you’re married is always around. Of course, if you’re like me, once it’s in the toolbox it becomes your standard method.
  10. Alex Warren

Alex Warren Copper BB

Appreciate the input. seems this shouldn't be a problem; guess the washer is supposed to take care of this but while it does on one screw, doesn't on the other. Loctite it is.
  11. Noturus

Noturus .410

I shot two Buck Marks some 20 years ago in IHMSA. One with iron sights and forearm and the other a varmint version without forearm and sights but with a scope. With Iron sights I had the same problem with the sight screw coming lose and jamming. I took it to the local gunsmith and was told that was an inherent problem with that pistol. He said all I should do is check it before every match and tighten it down if needed. At the time my 16 year old daughter was competing with it too and we checked it more than twice at the State Championship. It's not the most convenient way to shoot competitively but kind of necessary. BTW she got first place in 2001 in iron sight and 2nd in scoped!
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  12. pakettle

pakettle .22LR

blue locktite will let you remove screws, don,t use red locktite!