Tang Screw stuck A5

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by BGD, May 20, 2019.

1. BGD

BGD .22LR

I have an A5 light twelve i purchased around 84 and i cant get the tang screw loose. I bent the bits i purchased from brownells. The gun smith is backed up several months, but i may take it to him anyhow. I have put thousands of rounds through this shotgun and i wanted to replace the springs and clean it good.

Anyone else have this problem?
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Yep. You have a couple options, and not trying to insult your knowledge, but did lock screw come out ok? You can make a new blade. I found the harbor freight bits in red case work well and file to fit. Order another from brownells, they will warranty. Before trying to loosen, tap with a hammer, not so hard that the bit jumps out of screw. Then put some down force on it and turn. If the bit feels like it’s gonna twist then go back to the hammer and tap a little more. This works, I have done many times with success.
  3. BGD

BGD .22LR

Yes, It was stubborn but the lock screw came out. I tapped lightly with the handle of another screwdriver. maybe that was not hard enough and need to use a hammer.

Are the other screws as stubborn?

Thanks!!
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Is yours a Japanese gun? In one of Art Isaacson’s videos he says the stock screws on those were so tight they had a special tool at Browning for them.
  5. BGD

BGD .22LR

Yes, it is Japanese.
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

You seem to know the gun well. If you haven’t watched Art’s videos, they’re worth your time.

Let us know how you make out with the stock screw.
  7. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Yes some of the screws can be difficult to remove. Once you do get them loose, they shouldn’t be a problem the next time. If you mess one up they are available or they can be fixed if not to bad. Either way a messed up screw that is loose is better then a good looking screw that cant be removed, in my opinion anyway. I keep mine very clean, so breaking them down is a must.
  8. BGD

BGD .22LR

Do you think a manual impact screwdriver would help. I am thinking about ordering the brownells bits again and using a manual impact screwdriver and then buying the screw kit fro midwest gun works.

something like this. What do you think?
    https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2905-8-Inch-Manual-7-Piece/dp/B000NPPATS/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=impact screwdriver manual&qid=1558480548&s=gateway&sr=8-10
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
  9. Ranger6

I have one of those and I have used it lots on cars, just not shotguns. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. This is heavy and may be hard to use. The bits will have to be filed down. None of my screws were that tight. I just took a sweet 16 down last week that had never been apart, it set in safe for 40 years. I let a lot of it soak in p blaster.
  10. BGD

BGD .22LR

i just ordered a new set of the brownells bits and i am going to try and tap it with a hammer. I took it by the gunsmith and there was a note on his door that he will be out until the 28th, so i am going to try and get it loose. I hope hitting it with a hammer will loosen it up.
  11. Ranger6

It has worked for me. You may have to do it more then once and more then one day. Took me 3 days to get a bolt apart on my 16 when I got it. Putting the receiver in a vise will help hold it if you have one. I have one that swivels in about every direction with plastic jaws rapped in leather so it won’t scratch anything. Really helps out.
  12. BGD

BGD .22LR

How many timed did you have to hit it with the hammer? Was it just the tang screw or were the screws to remove the bolt from the receiver stuck as well?

Thanks!!
  13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Before using the impact wrench, you might want to try something less destructive. I would put the gun in a vise as Ranger6 suggested, and make sure to get a perfect fitting screwdriver bit into the slot. With a helper putting pressure on the screwdriver, I would turn it with a wrench. Remember, if you destroy the screw, you’ll have to file the replacement’s lock screw notch.
  14. Ranger6

Yes all the screws were rusted and tight. Had to use a little heat on some of them, but for tang screw you cant do that. My experience with trying to turn with a wrench is it either twist the bit off or slips out because the twisting force will overcome the downward force. You will most likely ruin the bit, scratch the stock and the screw will be messed up and then your in a real pickle. If you have no or little mechanical skills, it’s better off taking it somewhere and having it done. Just to refinish stock is around 300-400. That’s an expensive slip. Proceed with caution. You have been warned. Don’t take much to slip out of that screw head.
  15. BGD

BGD .22LR

What did you use to file a new notch in the screw? Do you thing grinder bit in a dremel tool would work?
  16. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Fortunately, I’ve never had to, though I’ve thought about it. First mark the location; the screw doesn’t need to be very tight since it’ll be held by the lock screw. Then I would use files, finishing with a round one. But you may be successful with a Dremel.

Did you get it out yet?
  17. BGD

BGD .22LR

I took it to the gunsmith today and he was nice enough to get it loose for me. took him about 30 seconds. I did not see how he did it. He just said "been doing it for 30 years". I have no idea why it gave me such a problem. I hope now the screws to remove the bolt are not that tight. Still waiting for the replacement bits from Brownells.
  18. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

They shouldn’t be. Like I said, all of the screw are just snug, with the exception of the stock screw on Japanese manufactured guns.

While you’re waiting for your screwdrivers, you might study this .pdf:

https://www.shotgunworld.com/images/BROWNINGA5DISASSEMBLY.pdf

Note, there’s no screws for the Bolt, just Carrier and Trigger Plate screws. Also, I found my standard length punch a little short so I went out and bought a longer one at a hardware store. You’ll need that for the Bolt.
  19. Ranger6

Good luck getting them out. The one that holds the firing pin in has been very difficult in the past. It is designed to go only one way. If you gonna take it down that far. Also be very careful taking the pin out to remove the bolt. It goes one way and if your punch isn’t long enough you will damage the hole. You should have a block of wood under the receiver with a whole in it.
    Last edited: May 28, 2019
  20. BGD

BGD .22LR

Well I got it apart and back together. Tang screw is a little messed up, but everything is back together. Bent the brownells bits again on the other screws. wish there were stronger bits.

Thanks for your help!!! I love these A5's
    Rudolph31 likes this.