Browning Double Auto

Discussion in 'Browning Double Auto' started by Rudolph31, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I bought one a while back. Does anyone know where I can get an extended magazine for it?

[​IMG]
  2. kumpe

kumpe .410

Don't have one myself but have handled them a couple of times. They don't even have a magazine tube as far as I can remember. Or am I wrong? Isn't just the second shell resting on the carrier? Not going to swear to it, but I don't think it's possible to increase the capacity on these guns.
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Kumpe, you’re just too smart to be fooled. There’s no magazine at all on a DA, the second shell sits in the loading port. Pretty cool, but I can’t shoot mine worth a damn.

[​IMG]

I started this post because it seems like weeks go by with no activity at all on this site. What’s going on with you and your Auto-5’s?
    kumpe likes this.
  4. kumpe

kumpe .410

I agree. There's not much activity here, although there seems to be a steady flow of new members.

I'm down to a single Auto-5 at the moment. A 12 gauge. Not by choice, but the gun laws here in Sweden wont let me have nearly as many guns as I would like to.
    I do hunt with mine all the time. In fact, I barely used my b525 (a.k.a Citori in the states?) in the last year because my Auto-5 is so much more fun. I'm thinking about swapping the O/U for an Auto-5 in 16 gauge, but they're kinda hard to find in good condition over here. That or a classic Superposed. We'll see what I stumble across first.

Other than that, I'm pursuing this most likely foolish but tempting idea (obsession?) that I'm going have a set of original, JMB designed, FN produced guns to cover all of my hunting needs. Although it won't be entirely possible, I'm getting closer.
    I now have a close to mint condition Trombone in 22lr for small game and practise, my trusty Auto-5 for wingshooting, and my FN model 1900 rifle (which is the coolest) in .35 Remington that I use for driven hunts. What's missing is a Superposed for those hunts where a semi-auto is less suitable, and maybe a SA-22 just for kicks.
    Too bad JMB didn't design any bolt action guns... My X-Bolt is awesome in every way and I can't live without it, but it would be cool to be able to have a full collection of FN:s. The closest thing (although not a JMB design) would be the High Power Safari rifle I guess, but I have never even seen one for sale anywhere outside the USA.

Didn't mean to rant, but then again... Why not. At least we're causing some activity and maybe someone else will chime in? :)
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The checkering was worn flat on this gun, so I sent it to Art’s. It looks a lot better now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    kumpe likes this.
  6. kumpe

kumpe .410

That is a really nice looking Double. I like the concept of the Double Auto, its simplicity, but I really don't like the safety. Maybe it's something you get used to. Other than that, I thought it was a really nice gun to handle.
    I was offered to buy one from a friend a couple of years ago for next to nothing, but declined due to the gun law restrictions I mentioned earlier. That, and the safety.
    Does these guns hold any value in the US? Here they are barely worth the cost of the metal they are made of. Like so many other old Brownings, even those that are hard to come by.

Damn it. Now I want one...
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Kumpe,

I wanted a Double Auto because it’s unique — a short recoil semiauto with no magazine and only two shots. I’ve a B2000 that’s similar; it’s a gas gun but it loads on the left and the last round stays in the port. And I can shoot it well. But for some reason I can’t hit with the DA. Maybe it’s because there’s no weight forward to smooth the swing. I could probably learn, but like you I enjoy my Auto-5’s too much. The safety doesn’t bother me as I don’t use it. At the range the gun is either empty and open or ready to fire. I suppose you could get used to it.

I thought I’d gotten a bargain at $700, but I’m upside down on it with the $300 bill from Art’s. Oh well, it looks good in the display case. If we had laws limiting us to a certain number of guns, I wouldn’t waste one on the Double Auto. But there’s a bunch of collectors out there.

About the 525, it is called a Citori over here, a 525 Citori. There’s a slew of different Citori’s, the 725 being the latest. I’m surprised they don’t use the name there, it’s just a word someone in marketing made up.

Your 1900 sounds cool. I understand that FN didn’t make too many, and the fact that it’s in .35 Remington is surprising.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Don’t know much about the 500; as I understand it, the R was recoil operated and the G was gas. I’m sure guys like them, but I like a little history with my guns.
  9. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Yes that is correct the R is recoil(short) and G is gas. It was an ok looking shotgun, couldn’t shoot before buying so I had to pass. Suppose to be issues with piston. And they are not available.
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Well, there’d be no piston on a 500R. But, you’re an Auto-5 guy. I’ve got other shotguns, but I don’t enjoy them as much as my Automatic Fives.
  11. 1644

1644 Copper BB

I understand not too much action on Browning Double Auto slug barrels. anyone know a site dealing in Browning Double Auto barrels ?? Thanks
  12. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Don’t really recall much of anybody having those. I have seen 1 on eBay. Other then that maybe barrel exchange. Good luck with your search.
  13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Well, there’s an update on the D.A. story. I bought a barrel with a Poly-Choke. It didn’t fit but a trip to Art’s fixed that. With the extra weight up front I can shoot it as well as my other guns.
    [​IMG]
    win7stw and kumpe like this.
  14. Bruski

Bruski .410

Something for those who like Double Autos.
    A pair of bookends picked up a ways back. 001.JPG
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  15. Bruski

Bruski .410

Should have dusted them first.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  16. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Nice Bookends could use the butt plate for my own piece. I know Rudolph and a few others out there are fan of Double Auto's . I am curious and want to know what's the lowest serial anybody has seen or heard of?
    Stumbled on one early this year #034. Looked like had a hard life but once I investigated bit further it not too bad inside and got to put a couple of shots through it yesterday finally all worked OK.
    Difficult to find much info out there on numbers but believe they only made 65 to 67000 .Certainly a first year production with the forend rivets. They made them a couple of years prior before they were released in USA. That at guess would make this one possibly a first week production. How it made its way down under this end of the earth is a complete mystery. Lets say I have seen two others in 45 years so not common here. IMG20210416081525[1].jpg IMG20210416081501[1].jpg
    I will be keen to see if anybody out there has seen an older one.

Attached Files:

17. Bruski

Bruski .410

Never thought of using the butt plate on a gun.
    Have been keeping an eye out for one.
    Saw one on-line as a two barrel set but they wanted $1500.
    Seemed a touch expensive. Maybe, maybe not.
  18. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Calling me a fan is a stretch. I was curious after reading about them in Shotgunworld. If one of my Auto-5’s breaks there’s a good chance I can fix it. If my Double Auto malfunctions it’s going to Art’s, which fortunately is just an hour away.

Still, it’s a unique shotgun, and you certainly have an early one. Let me know how you like shooting it. As I said, I couldn’t hit with mine until I added weight forward.
  19. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Ok Rudolph will re phrase to Admiring Owner. You obviously appreciate the unusual and history side just like me. My no 1 go for runs on the board is actually an 1100 comp synthetic which probably get plenty of boos for saying. I do have a pre war Auto five as well. I find the double auto actually balances and feels pretty good and can hit alright with it as is. Bit more weight and a rib be nice.
    What I don’t like is the felt recoil. I tried first with some 1 oz 1200 factories and then my normal wimpy 13/16 oz reloads. Surprisingly the wimp loads fed and cycled it fine but it still felt heavy on shoulder for my liking. This one is steel receiver job and got a bit of weight in it for a start.
    I reckon both recoil spring and action spring are stuffed from sitting an eternity and need changing.. When your visiting Arts next ask them if they have springs or where to go as had no luck looking on net so far.
    Anyway hope this generates bit of interest and comments on Double Auto talk.
  20. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’ll ask about the springs. But I’m not sure parts can be shipped overseas.