A5 speed load conversion

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Ranger6, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Ordered a wolf spring for a5 today. Will find out in a couple of days. Does say it needs to be fitted.
  2. kumpe

kumpe .410

Took it apart again and measured the spring. Attached some photos. Sorry about the poor quality and lighting.

Attached Files:

Ranger6 likes this.
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Yes that is awesome. I also measured mine. Mine is a little shorter or the short end that rides on rear lifter. I tried a model 11 spring and it hand functions without flaw

Attached Files:

4. Ranger6

Update: got new wolf carrier spring installed. Slight difference in spring, old spring has slight bend that new spring doesn’t have and new spring is slightly longer. Package that came with spring did say that spring required fitting in some cases. Decided to put it in a give it a try. 2 piece lifter no longer sticks or binds and moves freely when cycling by hand. Trip to the gun range yesterday. Speed function works great and it fires like designed. New problem: If 2 shells are loaded, it will fire both, but will not eject last fired shell and bolt stays foward. Load 3 shells, fired all but last shell not ejected. Load 4 shells, all fires but last shell not ejected.
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’ve heard of that before, and I believe that on all but the last shot, the bolt gets an extra push from the magazine spring. I’d try some hotter ammo, less friction, or both.
  6. Ranger6

I will do that. They were 1oz loads 1290 FPS. Going to order all new springs tomorrow.
  7. Ranger6

New springs arrived last night and installed. Shot today and it functions like brand new. Bolt stays locked to rear once chamber is empty. Speed load conversion worked with out flaw. I believe my dedication has finally paid off.
    Rudolph31 just as a note all springs were collapsed. New wolf spring was removed and original carrier spring was used. Thanks for everyone’s help. Next is the cross bolt safety. And I need another project!
    kumpe and Rudolph31 like this.
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Glad it worked out. Are you sure you want to change the safety? That’s a lot of trouble for marginal benefit.
  9. Ranger6

I have all the parts so I would like to, but may change my mind. It sure is nice to have my favorite shooter back with speed load. As soon as my barrels for zoli get back from gunsmith. It will probably go to art to have receiver re-blued
  10. kumpe

kumpe .410

Nice that you got everything working!
    I tried fitting a crossbolt safety on mine but failed. The angle of the grip differs quite a lot between guns, and in the end I was not able to get the correct angle on the trigger guard tang but instead ended up breaking it. I put the old one back and probably won't try again.
    Hope you have better luck and better skills than me.
  11. kumpe

kumpe .410

They sure are awesome, especially with speedload. I was shooting some clay with my hunting buddies last weekend, and I had a blast not only busting clay pigeons, but also busting my buddies balls whos new and shiny semiautos (of various brands) wouldn't reliably cycle skeet loads! My ninety year old didn't even hesitate once. :)
    And the look on some peoples faces when you just shove the first one in the mag tube and up it goes! Love it!
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  12. Ranger6

totally agree. Most youngsters have no clue what these old A5’s are about. I shoot at public range so I see a lot of different faces and I love to see their expressions when they find out my favorite shooter is over 80 years old and don’t miss a beat.
  13. Ranger6

Kumpe410
    Was the trigger you tried off a light 12? Midwest has a new one that they say works on the A5 with front safety. It’s pricey but so is a new gun.
  14. kumpe

kumpe .410

It was an alloy one, yes. If it had been steel I probably could have fit it without breaking it. I found a cheap one and gave it a shot but blew it, my (amateur) metal working skills were not enough.
  15. Ranger6

Not sure what I’m gonna do yet. Im not fond of front safety. Maybe I just need to take it apart and clean real well. It is kind of hard to operate. Prob never been apart in 80 years.
  16. kumpe

kumpe .410

I had the exact same thoughts before trying to convert. After failing I ran my whole trigger mechanism in an ultrasonic cleaner and gave it a good dose of good oil. Made things a lot better but I still struggle with it once in a while, especially when I'm a bit stressed. If you can fit the cross bolt safety without issues I still think it's superior. But if it means fitting an aluminium trigger guard to a steel receiver, I'm not so sure anymore. Didn't feel right somehow when I did it...
  17. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

18. Ranger6

Interesting post. I think mine can be converted but must be the correct trigger and of course it will need to be fitted. What’s more money? I already have way to much in it, but knew this going into it. Probably around the price of a new browning, however, in my mind real men shoot heavy guns made out of steel.
    I do have some aluminum receiver ones and they are a pleasure to shoot but doubt it will be in the same shape 80-100 years from now. The old school a5’s Wont be around forever. All the young generations like light shotguns. And from my experience they have more issues then the old work horse.
  19. Ranger6

Cross bolt safety is installed. Seems to function fine. Waiting to fire it, hopefully tomorrow. I think I’m almost done.
  20. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Did you let Art’s do it?