Anyone identify

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Ranger6, May 20, 2018.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

seen this a couple of days ago and I have never seen one like this. What’s up with the name on trigger guard?
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Can't see the name. But the engraving doesn’t match any of the known Types, as discussed in this thread:

http://www.browningowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-6-types-of-armes-de-luxe.8114/

But if aftermarket, the engraver would have had to deal with the extant Browning engraving before starting. Unless this is a World Market gun — they had no engraving on field guns. Does the barrel say SPECIAL STEEL or ACIER SPECIAL? All I can tell from the picture is that it was made between 1951 and 1958.
  4. Ranger6

I believe I did see acier on the barrel. I looked at about 9 guns though. I called browning on the 410 and was told they no longer have a historian. Not sure what’s going on with that. The name is D. Gaines
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Well, it didn’t belong to Mad Magazine’s publisher. That was William Gaines. Too bad.