Trying to date this firearm

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by jbird03, Mar 23, 2018.

1. jbird03

jbird03 Copper BB

This gun was my grandfather's and I was trying to get some information on it. If anyone could lend a hand I would be very thankful. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

ripjack13 and jbird03 like this.
  3. jbird03

jbird03 Copper BB

Rudolph it's an "M".. I wasn't sure what the letter above the SN meant.. If there's anything else you can tell me, that would be wonderful. Thank you for the information so far.

4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

FN made a few design changes in 1958; the most important were beefing up the rail on the Locking Block, and changing the Carrier Spring to a smaller one located on the Trigger Plate. It turns out the new springs can be made to work on the old guns, but a broken Locking Block rail is a major headache. You can read about my experience with that problem here:
    http://www.browningowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/my-first-auto-5.7051/

Your gun looks like it could use some TLC. Disassembly, cleaning, and lubrication. A new Action Spring and possibly— if you’re going to shoot heavy loads — a new Recoil Spring. You can do it yourself, or you can send it to Art’s.

There’s a ton of information on this site. Reading the “Stickies” at the top of forum will help you decide what to do.
  5. jbird03

jbird03 Copper BB

Thank you for the information... I ordered an action and recoil spring.