Western hunter muzzle brake!

Discussion in 'Browning X-Bolt Rifle' started by otis, Jan 3, 2017.

1. otis

otis Copper BB

What is the length of the muzzle with the muzzle brake on and off?

If brake is removed does is affect accuracy?

I am looking at the western hunter in a 300 wsm.

Thanks!
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Sorry Otis...not sure about that answer.

But, some member here will be along shortly who does...
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Is the question what is the legal length of the barrel with the brake on/off? If so, the length doesn't count the brake unless it is permanently attached.
  4. Marcel

Marcel Copper BB

I was hoping for some advise, my daughter is shooting a Bar in 300 Edm and it is too much gun for her so would you recommend a muzzle brake to reduce tge recoil?
  5. Marcel

Marcel Copper BB

Damn spell correct! 300 WSM
  6. otis

otis Copper BB

Strictly my opinion. When I started my kids, I used a smaller rifle. I started them with a .243. Reason is not only can they develop a flinch from shooting a rifle that's,"too much for them", they will also not like to shoot rifles because it's not fun at that time.

If a 300 wsm is a must, then a brake will tame it down but then you will have to contend with how loud it is. Buddy has a 375 HH with a brake and it's not bad to shoot but the noise is loud, real loud.

So take it for what it's worth but there are smaller caliber rifles that are pretty effective and more manageable to shoot especially for younger hunters.
  7. Marcel

Marcel Copper BB

I appreciate your opinion, thank you! I did start her on a 2506 however she is a bear, moose and elk hunter and now I would prefer her to have more power. The 300 WSM may not be the best choice but it is set up for her but too much recoil so that’s why we started to think about a brake.
  8. sschefer

sschefer .410

Muzzle Brakes do help some with recoil at the shoulder but where they really shine is in muzzle control. I have them on my match grade rifles because they allow me to return to target acquisition faster. Felt recoil is not so much reduced as it is kept in the place you best are prepared to deal with it. The better you can maintain the area that the recoil is directed the more it begins to become a push rather than a strike.
  9. Wazizit

Wazizit .22LR

I have a X Bolt Stalker Long Range 6.5 CM 26" with the stock muzzle break and can't stay on target with it. I read an article testing the top 20 or 30 muzzle breaks and the ZR Delta Gen 1 Cowl Induction Muzzle Brake came in with 43% reduction in recoil (best of all tested). I put it on my 65CM and I can stay on target. It was $150 plus shipping. I also have a Remington 700 Senduro 300 Win Mag that I threaded and put a Vais Muzzle Brake Micro on about 7 years ago. It's supposed to have a 50% reduction but it's more like 30%. I installed another Gen 1 Brake on it and it shoots like my Rem 700 25" 22-250. I would guess it knocked my recoil down by 65%. It's under 3" long and less than 1" in diameter. They now offer a Gen 2 that's supposed to be better but it's $200 plus shipping. I haven't tried the Gen 2 yet. I have breaks on 9 rifles and unless you go with a huge and expensive break good for only target shooting the ZR Delta is the best for the price you can hunt with. It is real loud for the shooter and anyone beside you as with all breaks. What sschefer said above is 100% correct. This is just my 2 cents on choices.

Attached Files:

10. Wazizit

Wazizit .22LR