9mm/.40 Conversion

Discussion in 'Browning Hi Power Handgun' started by RossA, Feb 15, 2018.

1. RossA

RossA Copper BB

Several years ago I picked up a used FEG HP clone with an extra .40 caliber slide, barrel, guide rod and spring. It was rough as you might expect, but an action job from Teddy Jacobson in Houston and it is now smooth and a great shooter at less than the cost of a used FN HP.
    Here is where it gets interesting. Teddy worked on the internals as well as polishing the feed ramp on the 9mm barrel. At the time I never took him the .40 upper to work on. I only shot 9mm in the gun until recently I happened upon a friend who wanted to get rid of a bunch of .40 ammo cheap, so I took it and wanted to finally shoot the .40 HP. Went to the range and shot 9mm just fine, then swapped out the .40 upper. I had 4 different .40 mags loaded with some generic FMJ ammo. Can't remember the brand, but it was 180 grain.
    NONE of the .40 ammo would feed, not even partially chamber. Not out of any of the 4 mags.
    Could it just be a feed ramp issue? Looking for some things to consider.
    BTW, I haven't taken it back to the original pistolsmith who worked on the 9mm feed ramp because he has been unavailable due to health issues, and after a number of bad experiences with so called "gunsmiths", I don't want to take the gun to just anyone.
    Thanks in advance.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

3. RossA

RossA Copper BB

Thanks. Called Art's and spoke to Nick. He said that they do a lot of Browning work, but mostly rifles and shotguns and he would prefer not to try to give opinions on pistols. I appreciated his honesty and being a nice guy.
    Rudolph31 likes this.