Does anyone carry a Hi Power for self defense?

Discussion in 'Tactical And Home Defense' started by In The Ten Ring, Mar 30, 2017.

1. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

If you do, tell us about it. Pics would be nice.
  2. No responses here. Hmm. :(
  3. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

To be honest, the site doesn't seem to get a lot of traffic.

I know on another forum (with terrible moderation, that is why I left it) such a question would have received at least a dozen replies with at least a few "I do's!"

I don't carry mine yet but I hope to change that. :)
    Swordsman63 likes this.
  4. Well, Ten, I'm thinking if we all start posting more, we'll have a nice little place to hang out here. :)
  5. By the way, yesterday I was looking at a shoulder holster video that looked good, good, good.

What holster will you use?
  6. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

I don't think there are that many dedicated Browning owners, certainly not in comparison with other handgun makers. I cannot say "FB shut down discussion forums" because some are doing very well in spite of FB.

I am currently trying out a Monarch shoulder holster from Andrews' Leather. I have it for my 1911 and it's one heck of a rig! I may get one for my HP when the HP gets some work done to it. I only plan to carry full-sized handguns in winter so a slow draw isn't really a drawback. In spring, summer, and fall I go with pocket carry/OWB. During hunting/hiking I'll probably wear the Monarch.

I have the Galco Miami Classic 2 for my 1911 and it hurts my neck. The Monarch is more comfortable. The back strap is pretty neat, tie downs like the Galco SUCK. It's neat having 3 mags, which really balance the gun better. My state legalized the carry of large knives, so having one is pretty fun too. LOL. I've spoken with this maker by phone several times, he's as pleasant on the phone as he is in the video.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  7. I sweat a lot. What are the issues with carrying a gun right under your armpit? (Serious question. No sarcasm.)
  8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

I previously own an FN Hi-Power ( P35 )... { renamed Pistole 640(b) } when the German forces invaded and occupied Belgium in 1940...with an original brown leather holster, two magazines and WaA140 Waffenamt stamp meaning it was manufactured in Belgium somewhere between 1942 and 1944 and inspected by the Wehrmacht inspectors in Luttich, Belgium....but I sold it to a collector for $3000.00 ( and he was ecstatic to get it ) . The barrel, frame and slide had matching serial numbers as well as stamped Eagles over Swastika on the slide and frame....
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  9. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

No idea. Do you not wear tee shirts? (Something of a joke).

I don't sweat that much. Shoulder holsters aren't the best carry but for some missions, they do just fine. Call the maker (Bob Andrews) and ask him. Number is on the website www.andrewsleather.com
  10. Thanks for the Reply, Ten. Wearing anything on my belt is a problem just because of my slim body type. (There. Now you know more about me than you wanted to know. :) ) So, a shoulder rig, or even a cross draw, would be preferable to something on my hip or small-of-back.

I ask about sweat because, obviously, there are a lot of things that are in our sweat that would not be good for a metal finish, let alone a piece of leather. I'll follow up with the maker, as you suggest.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  11. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

No problemo. Never carry small of the back. There was a police officer that I read about, he carried his back up there and when he fell/was knocked onto his back, it fractured his spine.
  12. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

Update: the Andrews Leather Monarch shoulder holster annoys my left shoulder/side of my neck. I can carry there and do it all day but it's not really "comfortable."

I used to enjoy a shoulder holster but those days are over I guess. I should have died younger I guess. ;) LOL

**Side holster carry seems fine though and now that I have the alloy-framed HP's, I can carry an HP after all and I am planning on it. I generally carry a snub nose .38 or two but that really should just be done in summer. Besides, 5 rounds might be too little if more than one bad guy comes along at once.
    Mister Coffee likes this.
  13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Well, I’m late to the party, but I’ve been carrying my Hi Power (when I want a break from the 1911) in a Mitch Rosen holster for a few years. It took a few weeks to arrive as there’s not much call for it and they had to make it. It’s a very comfortable, outside the waistband holster.

[​IMG]
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  14. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

Now that is ironic! I just called Mitch Rosen today to see if they could make that very holster for my HP and if they could put a bit of leather on the left side of it to protect my love handle from the weapon.....alas.....they cannot.

I may get the thumb break model for them however. $85.00 in the "Express" line.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  15. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Well...a 1911 or a P35 for every day concealed carry...

A totally different perspective of you sir...I like it.

Rudolph31 likes this.
  16. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

I would carry my 1911 if the holster I had for it wasn't such a "high ride." I may try to fix that.

Whatever holster I get for my HP cannot be a high ride.
  17. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The 1911 is in a Rosen holster also, which I got from Dillon Precision. I don’t feel the need for a thumb break as they fit nice and snug. If I was to open carry I’d switch to some sort of retention holster, but though it’s legal, I don’t. I think it sends a “Shoot me first” message.

Thanks, Shooter. I’m old school. DC3’s, 1911’s, HP’s, and Auto-5’s...
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  18. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

Well, open carry is for Alphas while concealed carry is for Betas.

Just kidding! :p

The only times I open carry are when I am doing volunteer security and want my weapons (including slung rifle) to be seen, when I am attending an open carry lunch, when my CCW expired in WV but I had to drive into VA*, and when it starts out chilly but gets too warm for my jacket but I don't feel like going without my firearm. That includes when I enter a restaurant wearing a coat but then take it off and happen to be carrying OWB.

*WV is a Constitutional Carry state, 2nd Amendment no longer taxed here.

I generally avoid open carry, mainly because I fear a gun grab, but also because I don't want to bang up the side of my car, etc.

Now when I was open carrying in VA due to permit expiration, I received nothing but honest inquiries and compliments. Go VA! :)
    Rudolph31 likes this.