1903 Barrel?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Cockerill, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Cockerill

Cockerill Copper BB

Being new to any forum I posted some of this in the how did I chose my name sorry for the mistake its is not my intention to double post. That said I've recently purchased a 12ga A5 barrel marked on the left side Cockerill Steel and on the top Browning Automatic Arms Ogden Utah USA, there is no made in Belgium,on the ramp for the ring is 6805. It has the barrel extension without the notch and the amazing thing is it appears to be unfixed new condition. Reading everything so far would lead me to believe that it's one of the first year imports 113 years ago? I'm hoping some way of authenticating it , I spoke with Lenny Rees the historian with Browning and he said that he wasn't familiar with those markings at all, which I thought was strange, he referred me to BCA Charles Wagner and he hasn't returned my email so I've moved on to what appears to be a far better source of info ,after reading the post First year A5 I believe I'm in the right place. In that post they were discussing that possibly that as few as 3000 were marked with that address? Any help with this is greatly appreciated and as soon as I figure out how to post pictures I will do so. Also I have a opportunity to acquire a 1912 Remington model 11 unfortunately it has been reblued but at least it was hot blued and done fairly well ,is it worth bothering with?
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Hello Cockerill and welcome.

I believe you have an early 1904 barrel. 1903 serial numbers run from 1 - 4121. I would say it's a first year as deliveries started in September 1903. It is believed that the first 10,000 barrels have were marked as yours is, as they were initially slated to be exported to the USA. But no one really knows. The best information on the subject is found in the book by Shirley and Vanderlinden, available here:

http://www.fnbrowning.com/browning-auto-5-shotguns

S/V states imports stopped in December of 1903 after only 2500-3000 came over. Maybe yours came via Canada, and I wonder what happened to the rest of the shotgun. Especially since you say the barrel appears new.

The Remington might be worthwhile, but be aware it's probably only worth about $200. And your Browning barrel won't work on it -- I have a 1908 Remington and the barrel extension already had the notch. Still, up until 1928 the Model 11's looked just like the 1903 Browning's.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  3. Cockerill

Cockerill Copper BB

Thanks so much for the info. Will the barrels without the notch in the extension work with the later receivers? I did contact the seller and he said the barrel came from a estate sale without any else. I agree it's a shame to not have the rest of the gun.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Nope, you'd need an early Breech Block assembly to make it work. But it's a rare barrel, someone wants it!
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  5. Cockerill

Cockerill Copper BB

Now that I'm going to have a gun that the barrel fits I'll hold on to it for a bit but if I do decide to let it go I'll certainly ask for advice here and the members will have first shot
  6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

7. Mark B

Mark B Copper BB

I'd be interested in the barrel I have a first year receiver that was striped I'm trying to re assemble. If you ever want to sell it lmk
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Mark, Cockerill hasn’t visited this forum for over a year. Maybe you can send him a message and he’ll get an email notification.
  9. Mark B

Mark B Copper BB

Thanks Rudolph31