Rabbit Hunting and your Browning....

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Billythekid, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

As the title states, post up anything related to rabbit hunting and your Browning.
  2. joester

joester .22LR

I'm not sure if Browning makes/made a .410 autoloader? I love hunting late winter bunnies w/ my m1100
    .410 remington; I can carry it all day and it seems to point itself, all I have to do is pull the trigger!
  3. joe mose

joe mose .22LR

Joester, they dont to my knowledge.. but if u want a light small bore look at the citori feather in 20 gauge.6lbs . Or the silver auto. 20 guage 6 1/4 micro silver is even lighter..
    Hope this helps i hunt bunnies with both..
    Joe mose
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

.410 is a good caliber for small game like rabbit....
  5. XDMBOB

XDMBOB .270 WIN

I have a BPS Upland Special 20 ga., living is SE Ohio we hunt Rabbits, Grouse, etc., I really like the 20 as a great all around shotgun and leaves the empty cases at my feet. I also like a 410 especially for rabbits.
  6. lrrp75thRngr

lrrp75thRngr Copper BB

I also like a 20ga for small game. My 12 gage Citori is only for clays. I use a 20 ga. Benelli Montefeltro for rabbit and pheasant.
    BTW . I visited my son when he was in the Camanche residence at Fort Hood and I served with a LRRP/Ranger company attached to the Air Cav in Tay Nihn,VN. That riderless horse can now cross any line
  7. DaveR

DaveR .22LR

I have been out once with my T-Bolt varmint .22lr.
    Works a treat and can't wait to get back out there for another crack at 'em.
    Shot both standard velocity and sub-sonics (@710 fps) and though the sub sonic's were a million times quieter the standards were more accurate in the T-Bolt.
  8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Which brand ammo are you using down under...!?
  9. DaveR

DaveR .22LR

CCI subsonic at 710fps for use near a camp site that we had been given permission to shoot rabbit and out away from the camp site we were using Winchester Bushman rounds that run around 1240 fps.
    It was my first time out aiming at gun at animals and wasn't the most successful, but next time we will try something different.
    By the way does anyone know if different light sources eg halogen, led or H.I.D spotlights have an effect on holding rabbits still while a shot is taken?
    Regards
    Dave
  10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

We here don't light up ( spotlight ) game here...it's not allowed by law.

Having said that...we are allowed to use night vision and thermal vision for hogs, coyotes and where applicable wolves...and other night time predators.

{ Most times it's the only way you can see them... }

Usually in the United States...once the sun goes down, legal game hunting stops. ( except as stated above ).

That includes bear...
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2017
  11. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

12. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

I have always been too scared to hunt rabbits. I remember as a kid, seeing a documentary about a guy hunting a giant grey rabbit. He cornered the rabbit, who then popped out of his hole, tied the barrel of the shotgun into a bow, and the gun blew up in his face! No thank you... NOT for me!
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    XDMBOB, SHOOTER13 and Rudolph31 like this.
  13. DaveR

DaveR .22LR

Folks hunt at night here quite often. Blokes are out roo shooting somewhere down here every night. Hunting bunnies, foxes, feral cats are also done.
    Adittingly we don't have the same sort of game as you fella's over there, so maybe things would be different if we did.
  14. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Understood Dave...it's still mostly frontier Down Under

If I seen a roo here...I would have to shoot it...with a camera.

Nobody would believe me otherwise...:rolleyes:
  15. DaveR

DaveR .22LR

I wouldn't call it frontier, just that, just about all our so called game animals are feral, deer, goats, camels, donkey's, dogs, cats, water buffalo. Our native stuff besides roos (which now out number people 2 to 1) are the cute cuddy type marsupials that are protected by law and a lot are endangered due to the likes of cat predation.
    But if you want something good to record for a laugh, get someone trying to pat a wild koala. Hilarious
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    SHOOTER13 likes this.