BLR shoots 12" high at 100 yards

Discussion in 'Browning BLR Rifle' started by joc1212, May 24, 2017.

1. joc1212

joc1212 Copper BB

Could it be the factory ammo or my sight picture?
    Ammo=Austrailing Outback with Sierra 165gr game king MV=2840.
    I'm putting top of front sight evenot with top of rear sight.
    Shooting 12" high at 100yds
  2. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger .270 WIN

Dang. Your correct. I have to think things thru
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
  3. joc1212

joc1212 Copper BB

everything I've read on here says "front sight oppsite, rear sight same". If that is true if I raise the rear sight it will shoot even higher.
    The Browning tech support guys seem to agree with that concept.
  4. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger .270 WIN

Sights are factory?
  5. joc1212

joc1212 Copper BB

6. cavmedic

cavmedic Guest

Front sight opposite and rear sight same is correct. Could be the way you shoot too. If you're at the limits of your rifle front sight then you may need a new front blade. About $35 at brownells.
  7. cavmedic

cavmedic Guest

I put a new front blade on mine. I was roughly at 10” high at 100yds. Put a new blade in and I was golden.
    Also, if you’re gonna keep it shooting only irons, you may want to consider a peep sight. Skinner makes a great one that looks snazzy too.
    With a peep sight you can put a scout scope, should you need magnification.
  8. joc1212

joc1212 Copper BB

What height blade??? Mine has a hood on the front sight.
  9. cavmedic

cavmedic Guest

Ok so the base is 3/8” and I got the tallest one they had which was 0.6”. I got it that height and took a file with me to the range. I slowly filed it down to adjust to my shooting. I also set the rear sight to about midway. You can’t really tell which height is ideal for you since each person shoots differently. That’s why I got the tallest one. That way I was sure to be able to get it where I wanted. I set the rear one midway so I can still go up and down if I need it to.

I hope this helps.
  10. Norske

Norske .410

Are you resting the fore end on a hard sandbag? Recoil and the 2-piece stock will result in higher than normal impact of the bullet. Try putting your hand in the bag and the fore end in your hand. Or, my favorite, use a rolled-up sleeping bag for a front rest.