Boss removal

Discussion in 'Browning A-Bolt Rifle' started by Hairtrigger, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger .270 WIN

has anyone completely removed the Boss from the end of their barrel and used the rifle as is?
  2. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

3. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger .270 WIN

How about a response from some one capable of typing more than one word?
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Please keep a civil tone gentlemen...
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2017
  5. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

What would you like to know about using a factory-BOSS-equipped rifle without either of the BOSS weights on it?
  6. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger .270 WIN

is the barrel threaded? or how to remove it?
    If not threaded are there ugly marks left behind? Will I need to recrown the barrel?
  7. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

The barrel is threaded. It's a VERY fine-pitch thread. You just screw it completely off. You can either also unscrew the jam nut that holds the weight in place, or I suppose you could try to use that jam nut as an impromptu thread protector. However, it won't stay put and it won't cover anywhere near all of the threads.

The crown is there, intact, and protected (recessed) even with the BOSS removed.

There is a plastic substance in a recess in the barrel threads, that serves as a thread-locker of sorts. It sort of 'wears out' as you screw & unscrew the BOSS a lot over time. You can still use the BOSS and lock it in place with the jam nut, but I found overall operation somewhat better when that plasticky stuff was new.

My experience with my 30-06 A-bolt was that POI moved A LOT with the BOSS installed vs. removed.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.