SA-22 "feeding" issue......

Discussion in 'Browning Semi-Auto 22 Rifle' started by Sconie, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Sconie

Sconie Copper BB

Hi, New Guy here....

I have a late 1990s Miroku-manufactured Browning .22 semi-auto rifle that has "feeding" problems. Specifically, the last 1, 2, 3 or 4 cartridges in the magazine tube---generally the 8th, 9th, 10th and 11th cartridges----frequently fail to feed, requiring me to manually work the bolt to load the cartridge into the chamber.

The first 5, 6 or 7 rounds in the tube magazine all seem to feed and chamber just fine----however, the last several cartridges in the tube do not.

This feeding issue happens independent of the brand or type of ammunition being used, occurring whether is is CCI SV or Mini-Mags, Blazer, Winchester, Federal Auto-Match, etc.

The firearm has been thorougly cleaned.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you!
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Bought it used recently or owned it since the 90's...?
  3. Sconie

Sconie Copper BB

Owned since the late 90s. Initially it functioned fine----a sweet shooter!

I started to have a problem not feeding the last 1 or 2 cartridges and I tried pulling on the magazine tube spring to lengthen it----and in the process, destroyed it(my bad). Purchased a replacement magazine tube assembly from GunParts Corp and now am having the problem of it not feeding the last (or final) 3 or 4 cartridges.

Maybe I should try a magazine tube from another source?
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Sconie wrote: "Purchased a replacement magazine tube assembly from Gun Parts Corp and now am having the problem of it not feeding the last (or final) 3 or 4 cartridges.

*Good thing to include that little item...makes a world of difference when trying to help you trouble shoot.

Sconie wrote: "Maybe I should try a magazine tube from another source?"

*That's the way I would go...others will weigh in I'm sure.
    Rob poston likes this.
  5. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Nailed it, Shooter.
    If the spring tension in the tube is off, is can easily cause the round not to properly feed. My guess is that the spring tension is too light, causing the last few rounds not to have enough force behind them to feed into the chamber during that split-second the rifle is completely out of battery. Get an OEM tube, and you should be just fine.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.