Browning Challenger III fails to load, fails to eject

Discussion in 'Discontinued Browning Models' started by david singleton, Apr 2, 2017.

1. david singleton

david singleton Copper BB

Based on the serial number this is a 1984 gun. I believe it to have been lightly used. It exhibited failure to load, fire and eject. The gunsmith worked on it and recommended Remington and Winchester ammo.

Remington ammo is on the way.

In the mean time I cleaned the gun and with 100 rounds of Eley Sport (1090 fps standard velocity) ammo. It failed to load four times (all with the 2nd or 3rd round of the mag). It failed to eject three times (with 1st, 2nd and 4th round of the mag). No failures to fire (yet).

The magazine is Browning brand (old new stock)

The ramp to the barrel does not have a mirror-like shine. Should it be highly polished?

Anyone have similar problems?
    Anyone have solutions?

Dave
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Dave !!

Enjoy our community...

As far as your question....I will defer to the experts here.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2017
  3. RFalcon

RFalcon .22LR

Use high velocity rounds - the standard velocity might not be driving the bolt completely to the rear. Have you tried different mags? Might be the spring is weak, especially if it's the first several rounds that consistently fail. Just a couple of thoughts.
  4. david singleton

david singleton Copper BB

Since posting my question the gunsmith fettled the gun, but with Federal Premium Target Gold Medal the issues continued and the gunsmith said to use Remington or Winchester ammo to reproduce the problem.

With Remington Target Eley 1050 fps "standard velocity" the issues no longer occurred. Almost. In 250 shots of Eley I did get two fails (from the same box) where the ejection did not work correctly. But good enough to close this "ticket"

Thanks for the feedback.

Dave