New Owner of a A5 Magnum Twelve seeking information

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by CO Jeff, Feb 7, 2017.

1. CO Jeff

CO Jeff Copper BB

I was just given (yes given, I know) a A5 Magnum Twelve by a friend who is moving away. From the research I have done browning owners.com I have deduced from the serial # that it is a model year 1973 A5, from the (73V) on the receiver. However, that is all I know about it. It comes in what appears to be a custom Browning carrying case and has two barrels with it. One appears to be a 28 inch and the other 30 inches. I am having trouble uploading a pic right now (it keeps telling me the file is too large), but will do so as soon as I figure it out. Unfortunately, according to the owner the stock of the gun was cut down to accommodate a youth shooter. I know this will affect the value, but I am sure I can get some spacers to bring it back to adult length and it will be fully functional. It has more than a few scratches on the wood and a few minor ones on the receiver. Looks like an original Browning butt pad. Can anyone else tell me if this is a particularly valuable gun or just an average (to the extent there even is) A5 with some mark downs due to alterations and condition? I am admittedly a novice when it comes to any knowledge of the Browning brand and the A5. I look forward to learning a lot more through this forum. Any help is greatly appreciated. I can't wait to take it out and shoot it for sure.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Congrats on an awesome score...!!

Image hosting sites like IMGUR / Photo Bucket / Flickr offer FREE registration...upload any image / edit / download to any site.

{ 600x600 pixels is a good size here }

As far as your questions...I will defer to the experts here.
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I'm not sure about the value, but you can look at what folks are bidding for similar guns on Gunbroker.

You should know that your Magnum was designed for heavy loads and that it may not cycle target ammo. Using a single Friction Piece and Ring, or replacing all the Magnum pieces with a standard set and spring may work.

Let us know how it goes.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  4. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

I wish I had friends like yours! Giving you a cased Auto 5?????????? JACKPOT.

Please hit us with some pics. I hope you enjoy your shotgun.
  5. CO Jeff

CO Jeff Copper BB

Ten Ring, He was pretty knowledgeable about guns too, and Cabela,s told him there was nothing they could do since the stock was cut down. He was going to give it to the junk guy. Interesting. Hopefully, I will get a pic up on the board soon.
  6. CO Jeff

CO Jeff Copper BB

Here is a link to the photo of the A5 that was given to me. Anyone with knowledge about value, etc would be helpful. I see a lot of used parts on Gunbroker and I have no reason to disassemble and use this for parts if I can get the stock to normal length since it was cut down. This is my first time using Flickr, so if this link does not work, let me know.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/148037546@N06/shares/b4gx3c
  7. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

"Give it to the junk guy" because of a "cut down stock?" SMH. Please send such owners of anything my way! I am pretty sure I can get a thicker buttpad or a new stock cheaper than I can a cased set Auto 5. :)

If this shotgun isn't your thing (and it may not be) send me a message. I'd love to have it. I may not be willing to pay your price but you aren't in it very deep it seems. ;)
  8. CO Jeff

CO Jeff Copper BB

Yes, I am not in very deep for sure. Let me give it some thought. I have no idea what to ask, but at the same time I think I would like to give this gun a run in the field before I let it go. I have a farm back in PA and may give it a go there. If you have a ballpark # for an offer let me know.
  9. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

$500.00 ? That's not meant as an insult, but it's about all I can spare at the moment.