Superposed "finish"

Discussion in 'Browning Superposed Shotgun' started by bucbean, Aug 26, 2015.

1. bucbean

bucbean Copper BB

I need some help/advice on repairs/finishing on a Superposed. The gun is a .410. Browning says the gun was sold to Thomas Koessl, Inc. in April 1984. 28" barrels. "Pointer Grade" Narrow tapered rib, Schnabel forearm. Grayed receiver Superlight stock.

The gun belongs to my son. Unfortunately, it was recently dropped which broke the butt-plate and corner of the butt-stock that "volume-wise" is about as much as a golf ball (maybe 20% less).

I went to get it repaired by a well recommended gun-smith in the Atlanta area and he said he would be reluctant to try to repair back to it's original finish. He said the "finish" on the gun...which is very glossy...almost polyurethane looking is a process Browning used briefly and is almost impossible to recreate because of the materials used and the application process. It was, in essence, a "propitiatory" finish that was subsequently abandoned by Browning. Personally, I prefer the "oil finish"...looks "better" to me...the "polyurethane like" finish looks like the finish on the Winchester 1200 pump I received in the late 1960's!....my opinion.

I have attached some photos..the "glossy" finished gun is my son's gun. My son is inclined to get the gun back to original finish, thinking that would persevere the "value".

So:

1.Is the "market value" of the restored gun "better" than one refinished in the "oil finish".
    2. Does anyone have any insight into the original finish and who might be experienced in "restoring" this type of "propitiatory" finish?

Any other "insight" would be appreciated.

I have lots of photos..but they got rejected..files were too big??? 1meg is too big???

Thanks in advance..

Jeff
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Call Art's. He was a Browning gunsmith for years and specializes in restoring Browning shotguns.

http://artsgunshop.com
    BAArcher likes this.
  3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Jeff !!

...try using this FREE image hosting website...Register... upload your photos...change the size (800 kb)...make other changes if wanted...then download your photos to any site, including here:

http://www.photobucket.com
  4. SuperX

SuperX Copper BB

According to Ned Schwing's book "The Browning Superposed - John M. Browning's Last Legacy", page 239 describes the Stock/Wood finish of the Superposed:
    "Before World War II Fabrique National (FN) used an expensive hand applied French Polish finish. After WWII, FN used a Browning supplied Sherwin Williams commercial non-yellowing lacquer". "In 1968, due to further cost reduction, FN suggested and Browning Arms concurred, that a change in the wood finishing process could be used to reduce costs. FN suggested using a new wood finish known as "Texacryl" an acrylic. This synthetic finish gave better protection and was faster, easier, and less expensive to apply. The more expensive FN-applied oil finish was still available at an extra charge".
    Rudolph31 likes this.