Ed's Red formula

Discussion in 'Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Trou' started by thisisdonald, Oct 18, 2016.

1. thisisdonald

thisisdonald .22LR

Hi folks.. I mixed up a batch of Ed's Red bore cleaner and also some lubricating oil today...
    Just wondering if anyone has tried these on their auto shotguns and how it compares to name brand (in your opinion)
    I have just gotten my first shotgun (in live in Scotland, UK) and when looking at the prices of some of the name brand products I nearly choked on my porridge! I figure that these name brands didn't exist 100 years ago so why can't I use what's readily available to me to make my own... so, for an outlay of about £20 I now have the fixings for about a gallon of bore cleaner and oil. Some of the ingredients I had already so it was actually cheaper than that. Anyway, the recipe is equal parts:
    ATF or power steering fluid;
    Acetone;
    Kerosene (Paraffin UK);
    Mineral spirits (White spirits)
    the oil is 50/50 kersone/atf
    nitesite and SHOOTER13 like this.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I don't know what's in the modern stuff, so I can't judge. But I use Hoppe's No. 9 to clean bores and mineral spirits for everything else. A squirt of Rem Oil on a patch and the bore is done. A drop of gun oil here and there, but I use 30 weight motor oil on the mag tubes of my Auto-5's, just like JMB recommended.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

I've used it...but like my friend Rudolph says...( see above )

Love the smell of ole' #9 in the mornin' !!
  4. thisisdonald

thisisdonald .22LR

I too like the smell of Hoppes - like any red blooded shootist! But I cant justify the price of some of the accoutrements that go with shooting powder burners...I have come from an airgun background and theres nothing that I cant do in my meagre shed with the tools at hand. I realise that with powder burning guns i need to have a better maintenance routine - with spring guns, I can FEEL when somethings not right and thats the time to strip it and fix it.. I buy lubes and oils for them and they last me DECADES!! Im not used to having to use consumables after every outing! :) but I am looking forward to it.. :D
    Anyway... Im out to the clay range tomorrow for the first time with this gun, so Ill be giving her a quick going over tomorrow night, and next week when I have time, it will be her first full strip and clean in I dont know when - I can see a build up of gunk inside and there are a couple of spots I want to hit with the ally oxide - the stock needs refinished and I have the bits for a speed load to fit...

Im all piss and vinegar whenever I get a new gun, and seeing as this is my first shotgun, Im really excited!!! I know this post makes me sound like a crazy greenhorn and its true, this will be the first shotgun I have ever owned and taken care of - I have restored and renovated countless air rifles and pistols,. I have fume blued, recrowned, choppe4d and tuned dozens and dozens of guns since I was 13 years old..... but this is something different.

maybe itrs the 2 bottles of red wine Ive drunk, but I feel like I l0ve you guys, from the bottom of my liver!
    SHOOTER13 and Rudolph31 like this.
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Well then...I see you're going to fit right in around here.

Post a range report when you find the time...
  6. thisisdonald

thisisdonald .22LR

Oh my.. did I really post that? The shame!
    Well I shot my new gun today and I busted plenty clays with it! Really really happy.
    Lots of recoil though and my trigger finger took a beating!
    When I got home I tried out my eds red and although I have nothing to compare it to, I have to say it performed well. Left to soak for a few minutes, it removed every bit of crud there was with a toothbrush.
    And I have plenty of it! I'll be laying off the wine too!
    nitesite, Rudolph31 and SHOOTER13 like this.
  7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Don't change your good habits to please us...:rolleyes:
    nitesite and thisisdonald like this.
  8. nitesite

nitesite .410

Welcome to the Forum from Alabama USA.

I can't stay enough good about Ed's Red, especially for shotguns. It just plain gets all the carbon and plastic wad residue out of the bore, and it does an excellent job of removing carbon crud from just about any area in a gun the carbon can reside.

I made up two quarts (liters) a few years ago and I'm extremely pleased. I use it on revolvers and rifles as well. Also it works great on GLOCK pistols. And Hoppes #9 is wonderful stuff for the persnickety copper fouling that Ed's just cannot quite dissolve.
    thisisdonald and SHOOTER13 like this.