Sig Sauer Micro, or Kimber P238???

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Rob poston, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

A month or so ago, I had some time to kill, and a pocket pistol in each hand. One was a Sig Sauer P238, the other a Kimber Micro .380. The similarities were... well.... let's just say "uncanny". So I tried interchanging the two magazines. Each magazine fit inside the other firearm (with the exception of the extended 238 magazine).
    So I decided to strip the two firearms and go in for a closer look. From the slide to the frame, they looked identical. "Surely not!", I said to myself as thoughts of infringement torts and legal repercussions ran through my head. I changed out the guide rod and spring, and sure enough, the Kimber slide fit right into place on the Sig frame!
    After doing a full functions check, I concluded that the Kimber slide will in fact fully interchange with the Sig. After taking a few pictures of the Frankengun, I put them back to their respective forms and put them back in the safe. I wonder how long it will take for Sig to find out about this?
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Interesting...

I take it the SIG came out before the Kimber...

Did you actually shoot the two "Franken" guns...or just rack a few rounds through each ?
  3. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

No, but I did try out a snap cap, and it did in fact strike the primer with enough force to dent the spring-loaded primer. Definitely a functional firearm in it's pot-luck form.
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

That is interesting...
  5. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Sorry, I just noticed that I forgot to post pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is the mutt... Kimber slide on the Sig Sauer frame.
    [​IMG]
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  6. MutinousDoug

MutinousDoug .22LR

They look an awful lot like a Colt Mustang but where is the ejection port on the Kimber?
  7. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Top right side.
    The Mustang is actually pretty different in person. The frame, for example, is polymer, whereas the Sig and Kimber frames are alloy. The Colt felt very cheap in comparison.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  8. MutinousDoug

MutinousDoug .22LR

The Colt Mustang Lite has a polymer frame; the Pocketlite frame is aluminum. I'm not at all familiar with the Colt Mustang Lite; however the Pocketlite I've owned since 1992 has been a reliable if not very accurate pocket gun.
    I agree that Colt finishes in the last 20-30 years don't measure up to that of the average Kimber or Sig.
    Rob poston likes this.
  9. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

True, but the Colt Mustang Lite makes up pretty much every Mustang found on the store shelves today. Very unfortunate.