Worn Out Superposed

Discussion in 'Browning Superposed Shotgun' started by Don Padgett, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Don Padgett

Don Padgett Copper BB

I am new to this forums thing so I hope I am doing it right. I have a 1951 Browning Superposed that has had probably over a million rounds shot through it. It is very sentimental to me and I would love to fix it up. First off the Vent rib is being held on with Electrical Tape. No biggie. The big problem is the action. It is very loose. With the gun closed and locked it has quite a bit of play in the barrels to action. So much so that when you fire the gun, every once in a while the action opens up. I downloaded a manual for the Superposed and read that it is probably the Locking Block. I purchased a new one from Numrich's and replaced the old one. Still the same amount of play. Any suggestions would help tremendously. I want to make sure it will tighten up before I spend hundreds on having the vent rib soldered back on and the barrels re-blued.

Attached Files:

2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Probably the best place to get you Super rebuilt is Art's Gun Shop. They're a great bunch and will work with you and your budget, from a complete restoration to serviceable shotgun.

http://artsgunshop.com
  3. Don Padgett

Don Padgett Copper BB

Thanks Rudolph 31. I am wanting to make sure it can tighten up first and then worry about restoration. I would like to do most of the work myself. Means more that way.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Don, Midwest Gun Works has a free copy of the Field Service Manual available to download.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/ctgy/browning-superposed-field-service-manual

Also, they bought up most of the Browning parts and are the best place to shop. A lot of Numrich's stuff is salvaged. Make sure you check the "Clearance" section before you order. I've found the part I needed $60 cheaper there than they charge for off the schematic.

If you get stuck, you may still want to call Art's for advice. Art and his sons are very helpful.

Good luck.
  5. Don, welcome to the site. Art rebuilt the action in my 1931 Superposed for about $250. Most likely you won't re-solder and re-blue the gun, so why not let Art re-build the action too? It may take 6 months, may take $5-600 or more, but you will receive back a gun in excellent shape and ready for another lifetime of work. Plus, it's worry free, just mail ir to Arnold, MO and wait for it to come back to you nice and pretty.

I'm sure Midwest is fine too, but Art's will repair your gun to as good as it can be.

Check out his webpage and videos at

http://www.artsgunshop.com/
    iamtom and Rudolph31 like this.
  6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Don !!

Please take the time to introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...

Enjoy the forum.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2016
  7. Don Padgett

Don Padgett Copper BB

Thanks NoDak Scotty and Rudolph 31. I will contact Art's and see what they say.
  8. SuperX

SuperX Copper BB

Midwest Gun Works rebuild and tightening of the action is what many of the 1950 - 1965 Superposed need to continue functioning for normal hunting or light clay shooting. The costs are reasonable to again have confidence in the functioning of your Superposed. Art's Gun Shop web site with videos is impressive and can also put your Superposed back in battery. Ship the Superposed in quality constructed break down cases.