Thoughts on magazine safety removal

Discussion in 'Browning 1911 - 380 Handgun' started by TRR, Feb 12, 2016.

1. TRR

TRR .22LR

I really enjoy shooting my little 1911-380. This is the first pistol I have owned with a magazine safety, and I am not very comfortable with it.

Is it possible to remove or disable the magazine safety, and would it be considered a good practice or a foolish move.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Two words...Foolish Move

What is your problem with it...?
  3. TRR

TRR .22LR

This is my first pistol with a mag safety. I am most experienced with 1911's and M&P's.

I am just not experienced with the mag safety, and I don't know what it is designed to do other than prevent the hammer falling without a mag installed. This does not seem to increase the safety of the pistol.

Mostly it becomes a hindrance when I do dry fire practice. With all my other pistols, I can dry practice with no mag in the pistol. I do not use a mag during dry practice as a safety measure as I leave all live rounds and magazines in a desk drawer when I dry practice.

I may need to educate myself on the purppose of the mag safety, I'm not fanaticaly opposed to it, I just don't find it to be useful or increase the safety of the weapon.
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

The purpose of the mag safety is to protect you the shooter from a negligent discharge should you drop the magazine ( empty or not ) with a round still in the chamber.

Imagine what would happen if you thought it was unloaded after dropping the mag and you pulled the trigger to drop the hammer....BANG !!
  5. drewzter

drewzter .22LR

A magazine safety is inconsistent with 1911 and IMO unnecessary. I tend to avoid them. Alas, I now own one of these. If you remove the magazine release, (typical 1911 removal) you will see a little nub on the shaft. I am fairly confident that the nub has something to do with it. The gun will fire if you press the mag release with no mag in the gun. If you look at this area and see how it works I think the answer will be clear
  6. drewzter

drewzter .22LR

I could be wrong too. Yes, the spring in the mag interfaces with the slide lock / slide release, but not the mag release. The nub I am speaking of is on the magazine release / catch located behind the trigger , much lower on the gun. If you remove the mag release you can see the nub but it is not visible when assembled to the gun. The magazine release can be removed like any other 1911. This nub is not present on my other 1911's.
    Gary Panzer likes this.
  7. drewzter

drewzter .22LR

Again, I am not absolutely positive that the nub on the mag catch / release is what is interfering with the trigger when there is no mag insterted in the gun. Having said that it sure does seem that way. Once you see the nub you may agree.
    Again, you can not see the nub unless the mag catch is taken completely out of the gun, ( the mag release is easily removed from the gun without any disassembly except removal of the magazine, just youtube 1911 mag catch removal) the removal screw is on the right side of the gun. You don't have to remove it, you just have to turn it to take up the spring and the whole thing slides right out in one intact assembly.
    Anyway, it's obvious to me once it is out of the gun. (Not there on a full size 1911 with not mag safety ) And Yes, you would have to grind it off, its part of the metal barrel part (in your first picture its a very small metal nub on the part to the right of the trigger guard. Here is a photo of mine. The nub is sticking out to the right in the middle. you can't miss it.

Also , if you move the mag catch and pull the trigger with no mag, the hammer will release. My reasoning is that the nub is moving past something and is also moved when a mag is inserted. I could be wrong. nub on catch.jpg But notice how little you can move that mag catch and the trigger will release the hammer. it's the same amount of movement of the catch which occurs when you insert a magazine.
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  8. drewzter

drewzter .22LR

I agree, that is why I have not done it yet. Until I am sure I am not going to take a chance but it sure is tempting. I can't see any other reason for that nub. I plan to take the gun all the way down for a trigger smoothing but until then......at least until then.......

I just looked at the part again out of the gun. The nub sticks upward and slightly forward when assembled. If you look in the frame with the mag catch out and move the trigger, you can see a tab on the back side of the trigger that MAY interface with that nub. The position of is is consistent with my theory.

In competition, we are often asked to drop the mag, show clear, and drop the hammer. With this gun I have to press on the mag release to do that. It's just wierd. It's not even a real safety in that respect. The gun will fire without a mag in it. You simply press the mag release and .. BANG.
  9. drewzter

drewzter .22LR

Good thought. I will try it.

RE: instructions online; Do you have any other 1911's . Its very very similar to them. There are literally thousands of 1911 instructions. The only differences that I have found so far are the mag catch and a small roll pin in the frame and another on the right side thumb safety.

Okay. Removed Magazine catch from the gun and checked function. Here is the result. It is as I suspected. Other than having to hold the magazine in, the gun functions normally in all respects. Slide locks back (as long as the empty mag is held firmly in place. The trigger releases mag or no mag. The grip safety functions normally. This is conclusive, grind off the nub on the mag catch and no more magazine disconnect. If I decide to grind mine off, I will probably will, I will post here.
  10. drewzter

drewzter .22LR

Oh yes. the mag catch removal for this gun is exactly the same as any other 1911 except that you have to rotate it a little to bring in out of the frame, because of the extra NUB on it that is not on most 1911's . You just press a bit and turn the screw about One third turn ccw and you will feel it release. push thru the frame and rotate past the Nub. Literally nothing to it. Nothing will fall out or get lost. Assembly is reverse. The screw does not come out, it just holds the spring captive.
  11. drewzter

drewzter .22LR

Yes. I think they are mistaken. There is nothing about insterting a magazine that could do anything to the beavertaail area. It just doesn't work that way. If you source the part let me know I will like to have a spare and try the gun without this. Also, as I said, I plan to strip the gun down soon so I will let you know if I find anything different about what I have learned so far. I'm cool with being wrong and pointing it out , too.
  12. drewzter

drewzter .22LR

Thanks. Looks good. I think I know what you mean about the finger on the back of the trigger. I saw it but I figured it only interfaced with the nub on the mag catch. They probably threw the nub on there for extra interference.

I feel more confident about working on the trigger having read the thread you send the link for. I have done a 1911 but only one. I'm sure I can do it. I will make roll pin for the safety.
  13. drewzter

drewzter .22LR

14. Has anyone yet 'disabled' the magazine disconnect feature on these pistols?

From what I can see...it could be accomplished one of two ways.

NOTE: I am NOT promoting/Suggesting that anyone disable this factory safety feature. Only discussing how it might be done.

1. Remove the tab on the backside of the trigger shoe (requires disassembly of the pistol).
    2. Remove the 'nub' on the magazine release (of this procedure I am less certain).

It is something I would like to do to mine...except there are no replacement parts (at present) for the 1911-.380
  15. Tylertor28

Tylertor28 Copper BB

@Flintknapper I actually took mine apart tonight and filed off the little nub on the back of the trigger. And it did work. Gun fires without the mag in. As for anyone firing the gun with a round in accidentally because that is missing you could do that with so many guns including full size 1911s. Oh and if you do decide to take the gun apart be very careful. They are not making replacement parts so if you break or lose something that's on you.