Maximizing accuracy

Discussion in 'Browning BLR Rifle' started by cavmedic, Jun 6, 2016.

1. cavmedic

cavmedic Guest

I've been wondering if the same principals for maximizing accuracy hold for my BLR takedown? Would floating the barrel be better or bedding it? Will being a takedown be an issue?

It would be a shame to practice so much and get a nice trigger job (which I have) and not be able to close the groups up because of a little sanding. Please let me know your opinions and experiences pertaining to the BLR and this issue. Thanks

PS. I'm not unhappy with my groups, I'm at about 1.25"-1.5" but if I could get it to 1" on factory ammo, I would very happy.
  2. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

Are your groups attained with factory loads or handloads?
  3. cavmedic

cavmedic Guest

I am on factory ammo. Outback Ammo 150gr scirocco II. I will eventually get into reloading but my circumstances won't let me just yet. I've tried about 15 different ammo types, in all different types and weights, and my rifle isn't picky. These outback stuff is just a jewel in the rough type ammo that people really haven't caught on to yet. It's hogdon powder, ADI brass and swift tips for $20 a box for .308. Can't beat that for premium ammo.
  4. cavmedic

cavmedic Guest

I have also tightened the screw at the forend and got a trigger job that took the creep out and made it a crisp 3-3.5lbs.

I believe I have bested most of the notorious accuracy killers, except bedding or floating. I'm just a novice and don't know if it being a takedown changes thing for floating or bedding.
  5. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

Is your group sizes based on 3 or 5 shots? As the barrel heats up, are your shots vertically stringing?
  6. cavmedic

cavmedic Guest

I am shooting 3 shot groups and properly cooling down between groups (at least till I can touch the barrel for 10 seconds).
    My shots don't string vertically, they just open up on all sides (the triangle it forms gets bigger).
  7. cavmedic

cavmedic Guest

The reason why I think it may be a bedding or floating issue is bc when I shoot at the range, my POI sometimes shifts a bit depending on if I'm squeezing down on the rifle fore end more, or if I barely put pressure on the fore end. I'm not sure if that's with all rifles but I have a feeling that because it's a takedown there may be more contact points on the fore end connection to the barrel. Not only will a dollar bill not prove the barrel floats, it can't even be inserted thru.
  8. BrShooter

BrShooter .410

Is the scope attached to the receiver or the barrel on your take down? Can you post a picture?
  9. cavmedic

cavmedic Guest

It's attached to the receiver. I have already done a takedown test and there is no noticeable poi shift from taking it down and putting it back together (at 100 yards).

[​IMG]
  10. cavmedic

cavmedic Guest

It's a Zeiss Conquest
    3-9X40 with a rapid Z 600 reticle scope on there
  11. BrShooter

BrShooter .410

I am no expert but with the BLR having a 2 piece stock and a barrel band the stock cannot free float. I have not touched a takedown model to see how rigid the attachment is between the barrel and the receiver but that is the point where I would be conserned with changing the POI.
  12. cavmedic

cavmedic Guest

I would have to absolutely agree. I went to the range and squeezed the fore end differently with each group I shot and the poi shifted with each group. I usually shoot with 2 hands on the rifle, squeezing pretty hard, but I'm gonna have to have to shoot it almost with one arm, leaving the front with as little pressure as possible.
  13. BrShooter

BrShooter .410

It sounds like you just need to be as consistent as you can.
  14. cavmedic

cavmedic Guest

I think you're right about that. I believe that's one of the downfalls of a takedown. It must limit the ability to free float the barrel, making any pressure on the fore end change poi.
    And from what I've read, bedding would only work if the receiver is attached.

I wonder if I bedded just the fore end separately, would it create enough contacts to stabilize when I add weight to it? I guess I'll be googling for a while...