Hi-Power other than Browning

Discussion in 'Browning Hi Power Handgun' started by MrDig, Sep 19, 2012.

1. MrDig

MrDig .22LR

I know about the FEG PJK 9HP, the Inglis and the FM made in Argentina. I am starting a personal mission to collect as many as I can. Not Hi-Power like, but actual copies of the Hi-Power. Help add to the list please.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Clone manufacturers include Charles Daly of the Philippines & USA, Arcus of Bulgaria, and IMI of Israel.
  3. I recently bought one of the imported ones an Israel. I bought mine from SOG.
    Steve
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

I believe I mentioned IMI of Israel above your post Steve...
  5. I was thinking Hakeems(Hungarians, IE FIEs)?
    Steve
  6. Darreld Walton

Darreld Walton Copper BB

At present I own an "FN" that makes no mention of "Browning" other than a nod to the "Browning Patent Deposee" on the slide......
  7. sub-moa

sub-moa .410

WADR, there seems to be a bit of confusion creeping in here.

The "Browning High Power" was/is manufactured...since 1935, by FN. Browning Arms was the licensed North American Importer of the Browning High Power from, '54 into '77, when Browning Arms became a part of the entity that is FN, but Browning Arms never made the Browning High Power. Incidentally Browning Arms began referring to the FN Browning High Power they imported as the "Browning Hi-Power" to differentiate their imported Browning High Power pistol from their imported Browning High Power Rifle...and FN allowed/allows them to.

The subject of BHP "clones/copies" can be complicated...unless one just wants pistols that look similar to the BHP. First, there was only one fully licensed BHP "clone/copy", the FM versions produced in Argentina up to '89. Thereafter, FM produced their own HP version without regard to license.

Of course there were the WWII Canadian manufactured Inglis BHP pistols that were licensed by FN...with permission of Browning, for wartime production. They were reverse engineered in inch v. metric dimensions using a very unique manufacturing method...with the close assistance of FN representatives...even Dieudonné Joseph Saive, the man most responsible for the FN BHP. I'll leave that there for fear of agitating the...blind ;), worshipers of JMB. I can almost hear the sharpening of pitchforks and lighting of torches :eek:;):D. The educated worshipers of JMB will understand :cool:.

FEG...of Hungary - now defunct, manufactured actual unlicensed BHP "clones/copies" by reverse engineering...and mixing FN model features a bit, of the basic Type 73 FN BHP. The FEG factory nomenclature was "P9". Many were imported into the US by Kassnar/KBI as the PJK-9HP...Michael Kassnar's designation. BUT, the nomenclature PJK-9HP became meaningless as FEG later began marking at least 4 different versions of their BHP-like pistols "PJK-9HP". Look for the oblong/oval outline of the cam...some call it a "crossbolt", in the frame just below the ejection port and aft of the trigger axis pin...as well as the distinctive (lobed) BHP slide stop in order to get the "PJK-9HP" marked FEG P9 version of the FN BHP. The sights might be slightly larger on some, some might have a ring or spur hammer and later versions might even have the excellent FEG designed extended thumb safety...but the basic pistol will still be a "clone/copy" of the Type 73 FN BHP. Incidentally, FEG also produced their P9 "clone/copy" of the FN BHP for other markets and marked them in various ways; FEG/Parabellum/Luger M80/Mauser-Werke M80SA...FEG even produced an actual counterfeit FN marked/"proofed" BHP :eek:. FWIW, the Charles Daley "BHP" pistols...there were 2 versions, were assembled/finished in the US from FEG parts...a Michael Kassnar project. The original Israeli "Kareen" BHP pistols were also assembled using FEG parts, but eventually parts were procured from other sources and they no longer were really "clones/copies" of the BHP.

The FN BHP was produced as an unlicensed copy in/for Indonesia as the "Pindad"...I've only ever seen/handled them IN Indonesia.

At the risk of hurting feelings...IMHO, none of the Bulgarian Arcus pistols...including the 94 are FN BHP clones/copies". The 94 might use inside parts and outside small parts such as the slide lock and thumb safety compatible...often with fitting, with the FN BHP and "clones/copies", I just can't get over the large, angular, ungainly and downright fugly frame and slide of the Arcus.

JMHO :D:cool:
  8. Clear as mud. Thanks.
    Steve
  9. sub-mos, to each his own.
    Steve
  10. sub-moa

sub-moa .410

Smileys can be soooo beneficial in expressing "intent" Steve ;). I jokingly use that very expression often...tongue-in-check of course, as self depreciating humor. I normally do so when the effort to debunk BHP related misconceptions involves detailed explanations...such as above ;):).

Referring to the Arcus 94 I suspect :cool:? Yes, I certainly agree; "to each his own" :). And you'll note, I did preface that opinion with "At the risk of hurting feelings...IMHO"...and meant it :).....