Reduced trigger pull?

Discussion in 'Browning X-Bolt Rifle' started by Hagstroem, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Hagstroem

Hagstroem Copper BB

Hi guys.
    I wonder if there is a way to reduce the trigger pull weight?
    I know there was a guy that was selling a feather to lighten the weight, but he is no longer selling this feather.

Is it possible to get my hand on similar feather elsewhere, or is there another solution?

Best Regards
    Jesper from sweden.

Skickat från min Nexus 6 via Tapatalk
    ryanleeis likes this.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Välkommen till forumet Browning ägare!

.308 patronen är en bra runda för jakt.

Njut av forumet.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2016
  3. Hagstroem

Hagstroem Copper BB

Thank you! Just placed a post there.

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

As far as the trigger pull weight...I'll have to leave that to the X-Bolt experts.
  5. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

I believe that Ernie the Gunsmith, here in Arizona, no longer offers a trigger spring for the X-bolt. I don't know of any other commercial sources (though there may be some). I am personally acquainted with people who have found Bic brand (or was it PaperMate...?) springs that have been to their liking. I cannot recommend that route, so I share it only for education & entertainment purposes.
    :)
  6. Hagstroem

Hagstroem Copper BB

So you men that it is possible to use a feather from a pencil?

7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

A BIC or PaperMate would be an ink pen...and the spring inside used accordingly.
  8. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

Some people have done that, yes. I urge care and caution if you choose to pursue that line of thinking. Spring rate, overall length, and diameter are all important factors one must consider, to assure proper operation of the trigger. It can be successfully done, if you find the right spring.
  9. J.L. Latham

J.L. Latham .22LR

I'm new to being an X-Bolt owner, but the manual that came with mine says the trigger is adjustable from about 3 pounds to 5 pounds and tells how to make the adjustment. I like the trigger just out of the box at around 4 pounds for hunting. If I were going for pure target shooting I might lighten it up, but 4 or 5 pounds helps overcome the adrenalin factor when that 8-point buck jumps up in front of you (just my opinion). The instructions start on page 24 of the manual, and here's a link to an online accessible copy of those instructions
    http://www.manualslib.com/manual/407917/Browning-X-Bolt.html?page=24
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  10. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

If they are available to you in Sweden, Jesper, and if you are interested in replacing the entire trigger assembly, Jard makes triggers for both the A-bolt and the X-bolt.
    http://www.jardinc.com/bowning/
    Hagstroem likes this.
  11. Bob Gibson

Bob Gibson Copper BB

I could not set my trigger release below 4.0lbs so I completely recovered the adjustment screw and cleaned out the old locking compound from both internal and external threads.
    Then screwed the adjustment in until i just felt some resistance. Measured trigger release at 2.5lbs.
  12. I have left my X Bolt hunting rifles at the factory setting, about 3.2 pounds pull. Friends I shoot with have Timney Triggers which are truly excellent and look so close to the factory Miroku Japan FeatherTrigger it is unreal. Then the trigger adjusts down to 1 pound or 1 1/2 pounds depending on which X Bolt rifle stock you are putting it in. Quickly you can tell which has a Timney Trigger at a range as it is identical in shape and appearance but without the gold or silver finish. They work really very well. But for hunting I would feel safer with the excellent stock Feather Trigger. When you buy a new Browning X Bolt they come around 3.2 pounds standard. Adjusting it lower you would find very little lower possibilities. The Timney Trigger for the X Bolt is $175 plus shipping and is made in the USA and is very highly rated. I know guys that have these triggers on all of their rifles.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018