Scope mount

Discussion in 'Browning X-Bolt Rifle' started by Wik, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Wik

Wik Copper BB

Hi
    I'm a few months into my new (used) x bolt 7 mm mag. The factory stock had my face way too close to the bolt so I ended up jummping the gun so to speak on a new Boyd's stock at 14.5 lop. I got my lop using Randy Boyd's 5.75 inch rule. The stock ended up feeling just a little long. I ended p between about 5.5 inches back and 5.75 inches back mounting the gun to my shoulder naturally. Just a hair farther with a heavy coat on. Hence my thoughts that 14.5 was just a little long. So all of this leads to my real problem. I have to crank my neck way forward to get a full picture in my VX1 4-12 power scope. I can't get the scope far enough back with my tally one piece rings. So while my lop may be a little long on this gun, I don't think it's the actual problem here. Could this problem be fixed by simply switching to a rail mount for the scope? And, is this a common problem and possibly due to the 7 mag's long action?

Thanks in advance for any input.
  2. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Hi Wik, welcome to the forums! Post an introduction in the new members section, when you get a chance.
    To answer your question, the length of action will dictate the travel of the scope, to an extent. This places the rings further apart, which limits the travel that the scope can be mounted. If you were to go with a rail mounted system, then you will be able to set the rings across a broader range, which might allow for a further scope position. If, however, you still cannot bring the scope back enough to fit your needs, adding the rail will allow you to add a set of offset rings such as the Nikon .223 or the Leupold system designed for an AR platform. Although these rings are designed to place the scope forward for AR-15's and AR-10's, they can be reversed to allow a scope to be mounted reward instead of forward. Hope this helps!
  3. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

4. Wik

Wik Copper BB