BLR Hand Loads

Discussion in 'Browning BLR Rifle' started by Claudio Garcia, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Claudio Garcia

Claudio Garcia Copper BB

Hello BLR owners, I'm new to this forum and have already read some great information. My question is about hand loading for the BLR. I've heard from other sources that some BLR rifles will not cycle hand loads very well. I've just ordered a BLR, pistol grip in stainless steel, in 7mm-08, and I'm excited about receiving it in a few days. So, I would love to hear as much advice as you care to share with me about handloading for the this 7mm-08 BLR. I presently hand load for a Savage 7mm-08, bolt action and I neck-size the loads for that rifle, and full-size every other time for the same brass. My intentions are to full-size for the BLR every time I reload, but I would like to hear from some of you on this topic as well as on your "pet loads" and C.O.A.L., for your BLR if you handload for a 7mm-08. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
  2. cavmedic

cavmedic Guest

I know very little of hand loading, as I have not done any yet. However, I have scoured the Internet for anything BLR related and I can tell you what I have seen over and over again from reloaders. The one thing they all say is "small base dies" for the BLR. It will not cycle correctly without them.

I hope this helped a bit.
  3. BrShooter

BrShooter .410

I am just starting to try to load for mine but it is .308. Sorry I won't be any help.
  4. Claudio Garcia

Claudio Garcia Copper BB

Thank you for your response.

I looked into small base dies, however, I had also heard that most BLRs cycled full -sized cases just fine, so I've been using R-P brass and have tightened down my full-sizing die a light tighter than usual. I haven't tested any loads out at the range yet, but the cases that I've sized and trimmed seem to cycle just fine. I've also loaded several dummy rounds in 120 gr., 130 gr., and 139 gr., and as of now, those dummy rounds are cycling just fine. We'll see how it goes out at the shooting range. It's taking me longer than I expected to get out to the range since it took me a good while to locate the scope that I wanted for this rifle. I finally went to Leupold and bought a 3x9x33 in silver finish, in their ultralight series. Finally got the scope mounted. Now I'm waiting to finish a rifle stock "make over" of my Savage 7mm-08 so that I can take both rifles to the shooting range.
  5. cavmedic

cavmedic Guest

Just remember that the dummy rounds cycling through are not hot and swollen from firing. The hand reaming we have on our rifles MAY make it hard to cycle a hot round that cycled fine while cold.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes :)
  6. BrShooter

BrShooter .410

I just shot my first reloads and posted the results in another thread. The results were really satisfying.
    The brass I used were from PMC factory loads fired from my gun. I measured the head space from the fire formed brass and only tried to set the shoulder back .001". I had no problem chambering any of these rounds.
    Are you thinking about neck sizing yours? I would like to know how it goes.
  7. Claudio Garcia

Claudio Garcia Copper BB

BrShooter, I'm not planning on neck sizing for the BLR. I do neck size for my Savage 7mm-08, and they work just fine for about two loadings, then I have to full size them again or I have some trouble getting my bolt to close. Since you're having success with bumping your shoulders back, I may try to neck size some for my BLR as soon as I have some fire-formed brass to work with.

I have not made it out to the range yet as the flooding in my area has been devasting this Spring. The shooting range that I typically go to is still under water. I'll have to wait until the rains stop.

I'm glad that your results were satisfying.

I'll post something as soon as I have something to report.
  8. BrShooter

BrShooter .410

I have my second load in the brass now to try. I hope to get to the range in the next couple of weeks. No flooding here. Sounds bad in Texas and I hope it will dry out soon.