External Safety

Discussion in 'Browning 1911 - 380 Handgun' started by Blamejane, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Blamejane

Blamejane .22LR

Can the external safety be removed?
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Why would you...?
  3. Blamejane

Blamejane .22LR

So is that a yes or a no?
  4. Gil W

Gil W .410

I suspect you could but why? I don't use the safety when CC, I rely on the 1/4 cock of the hammer plus the grip safety. I'm not fond of a full cocked hammer.
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

It's a YES...by a competent gunsmith...but my question above still stands.
  6. Blamejane

Blamejane .22LR

Thanks guys. The other day I was curious about this because I was practicing my grip for an upcoming basic pistol class. During my dry fire practice there were a few times when my grip/hold of the gun would cause the external safety to slide up. That was the reason for the OP.

I'm not going to remove the external safety, but I also don't intend to use it. I haven't ruled it out completely though, as I'm still figuring out what "works" for me.

Gil I have no idea what the 1/4 cock of the hammer means, but I'm going to find out. I don't like the full-cocked hammer either, which would be a good argument for using the safety, so that's why I'm interested in your technique.

I have taken the training class since making the OP. I loved the class, however I was the only person with a hammer striker and it was a serious PITA to have to drop the hammer in order to holster my weapon. I was at a complete disadvantage and while I was warned that I would have to do that, I didn't understand what that would actually be like until going through it.

Now I LOVE my 380, love it, but if I do any tactical training classes I will probably opt for another hg. The problem with that of course is that we're taught to train with what you intend to use. Well, I intend to use my 380. Anyway, those are my thoughts at the moment.

P.S. I'm happy to report that I have yet to experience any kind of stove pipe/miss-fire or failure of any kind with my awesome 380.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Cocked and Locked is the way that platform IS meant to be carried...

Which means...one in the chamber...mag topped off...safety ON.

Of course, if you're not comfortable with it in "Condition 1"...then maybe that platform isn't a good fit for you.

And training class(es) would probably be the only time you would need or want to do that little drill...as it was for the safety of the class, not actually required when carrying.