New member, old Hi Power shooter

Discussion in 'Browning Hi Power Handgun' started by Silverlobo, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Silverlobo

Silverlobo Copper BB

I purchased my Hi Power, new in 1988, matte black finish, Millet adjustable sights, and hard wood grips. Shot the dog snot out of it (6000+ rounds) for a few years then separated from the USAF. Used it on and for the next 8 years and stored it badly for nearly 10 years.
    Started shooting again in the last 6 months or so and remembered why I put so many rounds through it. Sights are still dead on and, after a cleaning, it functions flawlessly. Only glitch was using ammo hand loaded in 1990. ended up tossing 30-40 rounds out of 400, tired if the mis-fires. Using new ammo I qualified for my Illinois CCW 30/30 with only 5 outside the 10 ring. It's just a little heavy for EDC.
    Just sent it in for a Cera-coat job in graphite black and will be looking for a set of tactical grips and a couple of new mags.
    Once it comes back I will post before and after pics.

P.S. Nice place you have here.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Silverlobo....!!

Looking forward to the pictures....
  3. bgold

bgold .22LR

I'll be looking forward to the pics.

Hi Power is always one of my favorites, and I have used one for a CCW at times. If it weren't for the 1911, I would probably say it is my favorite handgun ever made...
  4. Silverlobo

Silverlobo Copper BB

I called the next business day for the before pics and it had already been disassembled. On the one close-up you can see the pitting. I can't wait to go to the range on Friday or Saturday.
    I didn't have any of the mags done as I will be replacing them.
    The rounds you see in the mag are Hornady Critical Defense 115gr FTX. The same I have in my EDC.

[​IMG][/IMG] [​IMG][/IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    mp5sd9mm likes this.
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

That's a fine lookin' Hi-Power !!
  6. Silverlobo

Silverlobo Copper BB

Thanks Shooter13.
    It will be on the range Fri or Sat. I'm looking for a set of tactical grips next then I'm done tinkering with it.
  7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Looking forward to the Range Report........
  8. Silverlobo

Silverlobo Copper BB

Range report.
    Freaking Awesome!. Only minor adjustment to the sights and fist sized groups POA at 10 yards.
    I am a happy camper.
    On a side note, took a couple friends with me and they had a blast. We had the Browning, M&P Shield 9mm, M&P Compact 22, H&R Snub nose in 32 S&W Long, Hawes SA Revolver 22LR.
    Really couldn't have asked for a much better day.
    Made arrangements to trade in the M&P Shield for an identical with the addition of a safety. Not 100% comfortable carrying Condition 0 in public. I'm too used to the safety on the Browning.
  9. First, welcome to the forum. Lots of great knowledge here. I'm sure many will help with any problem you may have. What's your location in Illinois I'm at the junction of I55 and Illinois 116.
    Steve
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  10. mp5sd9mm

mp5sd9mm Copper BB

11. mp5sd9mm

mp5sd9mm Copper BB

Hello ! Is your front sight taller than on the standard MKIII ?