Choke choices

Discussion in 'Browning Maxus Shotgun' started by boots_down!, Mar 3, 2014.

1. boots_down!

boots_down! Copper BB

Trulock, Carlson, Patternmaster, Kicks...

What are we all running in our Maxus this coming turkey/duck season?
  2. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Re: Chokes!

trulock all the way for me. What about you?
  3. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

I like the look of the Browning Midas chokes, but am still searching for a justifiable reason to drop $40 each for them. I can't find anyone who says they pattern any better than the flush mount chokes. Plus I likely won't switch them often while shooting.
  4. boots_down!

boots_down! Copper BB

I've paid for a pattern master before and I kind of wish I wouldn't of. It's a good choke but way over priced. I think I am going to try Carlson this time for ducks. As far turkey I may try a jelly head a friend of mine has. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
  5. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

Trulock chokes seem to be most preferred by the pros, but others say a choke is a choke. What really matters is how the choke patterns in your gun, and I don't think anyone can tell you that a given choke tube will work best in your gun.

For me, I want the convenience of a screw-in choke and also want something that looks good. I prefer the black color of the Browning Midas choke in my Maxus (Invector Plus) as compared to the Carlson or other brands. Of course functionality is #1 and looks #2.

So far, I can't find anyone that says the Invector Plus extended tubes (Midas, Diana, or Diamond series) pattern any better than the standard, flush-mount tubes - so I have a hard time dropping $40 and more for them. So far I have not been in a hurry to change a choke tube, so the old wrench method with flush tubes will work for me, for now. I'll shoot skeet with SKT and sporting clays with MOD.
  6. kdubinwa

kdubinwa .22LR

Can't disagree with others. Your mileage may vary, but this is my take:

I researched steel shot pattern results on the web for the 28" Maxus with various chokes and discovered excellent results with Briley extended chokes. I wanted extended chokes with knurled grip for quick swapping in the field.

I purchased and patterned Browning's extended Grand Passage chokes (made by Briley) in IC and IM. They are superb for Heavy Metal 3" #3 and #2 from a Maxus 28" barrel. The IM gives very dense 83-86% patterns w/o any holes in a 30" circle at 40 yards.

I have to say that I prefer the IC for waterfowl over dekes. It thought it would be too open, but found it to be absolute money out to 40+ yards. Beat the heck out of last years shooting with my prior SBEII and Terror 675.
  7. boots_down!

boots_down! Copper BB

I tried a few different chokes today at 40yds. The Jellyhead seemed to be the best for me. Diameter was .670

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
  8. shawnmax

shawnmax Copper BB

For ducks myself and friends with maxus all use Carlson's blackcloud choke (midrange) shooting winchester Xpert 1550fps #2 and blackcloud #2 for geese and we get good dense patterns.
  9. All my shotguns wear trulock chokes. I've tried Carlson, pattermaster, briley and OEM browning. And I've always gotten the best patterns from trulock.
  10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Every shotgun is different...hence the different choices you gentlemen have made...given the range and primary target.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2015
  11. I wasn't thrilled with the patterns of the stock chokes plus they collected the wad residue easily. I do mostly skeet so I bought a flush and extended, ported skeet choke for the hell of it, from Briely. With easily over 2000 rounds through both, there has been no residue build up at all. I bought an IC extended Briely's for trap and sporting clays and with at least 1000+ rounds it's still residue free.
  12. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Good to know...thanks for sharing.
  13. Fooshman

Fooshman Copper BB

I usually run the Browning Grand Passage IM in all that I do (mostly migratory birds).
    SHOOTER13 likes this.