Minimum A-5 Spring Lengths?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by jcs266, Jul 2, 2015.

1. jcs266

jcs266 .22LR

I've got a Light Twelve and a Magnum 12. Do any of you know what the "minimum length" for these springs should be? (Standard and Magnum)

I did find info saying that a new Light Twelve spring is 9.25" long. The spring in my Light Twelve is 8 7/8"... Wondering if this is still acceptable or should be replaced?

Thanks!
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The answers are 9.25" for the Standard and Light Twelves, and 10.5" for the Magnums. Those are new lengths, if yours are close you can probably stretch them a little, but if I were you I'd replace the Recoil, Action, and Magazine Springs just because they're all probably due, and it's cheap. While you're in there, clean out the gunk from the Action and Magazine Tubes. And if your guns are old enough, you might have a wooden Action Spring Plug. They swell and cause problems, the new plastic plugs are better.

Midwest Gun Works has all the parts, plus a FREE download of the Field Service Manual. They also have special thin screwdrivers for Browning.
    http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/ctgy/browning-auto-5-field-service-manual
  4. jcs266

jcs266 .22LR

Thanks R31, that's all easy stuff and cheap insurance. A weak magazine spring can be a cause of malfunctions.