Stainless Stalker cleaning tips?

Discussion in 'Browning X-Bolt Rifle' started by cupton, Jun 2, 2015.

1. cupton

cupton .410

Any tips for cleaning my X-Bolt Stainless Stalker (with Dura-Touch Armor Coating)? I'm mainly looking for any advise/info on the stock. I'm paranoid that I'm going to get something on the stock and damage it. My normal cleaning agents are Hoppes for the bore (to get the crud out) and CLP/Ballistol for everything else. If I've only shot a few rounds I'll just use CLP or Ballistol in the bore and not even worry about the Hoppes. Ballistol is supposed to be safe on everything but I'm still a little concerned about it on the X-Bolt synthetic sock. Is the synthetic stalk really that delicate and sensitive to cleaning agents or am I being overly cautious? The manual say...

"Be especially careful when cleaning guns with camouflage, Dura-Touch® Armor Coating and other special finishes. Always prevent these surfaces from coming in contact with cleaning solvents, barrel scrubbers and other strong chemicals. It is preferable to clean these surfaces with a light gun oil containing no solvents, or with a damp cloth and mild dish soap (be sure to keep water out of the action). When cleaning your firearm’s bore and action, protect the external finishes from any contact with chemicals used. Also, avoid any contact between external finishes and other strong chemicals like those found in DEET-containing insect repellents, sunscreens, etc. Damage to camouflage, Dura-Touch and other finishes caused by chemicals is irreversible and not repairable."

What do you all use to clean your X-Bolt synthetic stock. I find it really hard to keep all of the cleaning agents off the stock while I am cleaning. There's always a spot or two where the cleaner seeps onto the stock.

Thoughts?
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Those instructions seem clear and simple enough...I would follow them.

When protecting my wood stocks while cleaning...I use a Tipton cleaning vise and wrap an old clean towel around the stock to keep the solvent from contacting the wood...pushing the dirt from breach to barrel end.
    mwbutcher and cupton like this.
  3. cupton

cupton .410

Thanks for the info. Good tip about wrapping the stock in a towel. I've got a Caldwell Lead Sled bench that I use when cleaning. I'm not usually messy with the cleaning solvents but I noticed I had a few spots where I got some on the stock right at the back of the breach by the safety. Any other stock I wouldn't really worry but with the Dura-Touch I just need to be extra careful.

Thanks!
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Not a problem brother...

No matter how careful, solvent and oil get everywhere when cleaning...I find the towel helps me alot.
  5. cupton

cupton .410

Thanks again! I appreciate all the advise and info. I'm just being paranoid since this is my 1st new hunting rifle. Moving to southwest PA in a month and wanted something that would be good for all sorts of weather. Figured the stainless stalker with the composite stock was a good choice.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Yes sir...good to go !!

Enjoy hunting in " Penn's Woods ".... !!

( I know I do... ;) )
    cupton likes this.
  7. cupton

cupton .410

It'll be a fun experience for my family and I. We have been west coasters our entire lives up until 2 years ago when we moved out of crazy California to Arizona. We've always loved the East., Err I mean the midwest. I call it Pittsburgh the east but Ive been corrected and have been told its technically the midwest. WHATEVER! Bottom line... We are looking forward to it.

As long as I still get to shoot. Ive had fun in Arizona building my firearm collection. Something I was pretty limited on while living in California. ;)
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

We here in Pennsylvania are very gun friendly...

Pennsylvania became the first American state to grant its citizens gun rights when its state constitution took effect in 1776.

No. XIII of the Pennsylvania Constitution of 1776’s Declaration of Rights stated, “That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the state; and as standing armies in the time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up; And that the military should be kept under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.”

The Pennsylvania Constitution was drafted in the summer of 1776 and it was adopted in September 1776. Among its principle authors was Benjamin Franklin. The constitution has been described as the “most democratic in America,” but it was deemed a failure almost immediately. It did not provide for an office of governor and left law-making responsibilities in the hands of a single assembly. It was replaced with a new constitution in 1790.

The Pennsylvania Constitution of 1790, which became permanent, states: “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defence of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”
    lead-fouling and cupton like this.
  9. lead-fouling

lead-fouling .22LR

Meanwhile in the UK our gun laws are regressing, you now need a licence in Scotland to own any form of air weapon airsoft included! It'd be funny if I didn't find governments oppression their people so depressing.
  10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

They try it almost everyday here in the states...

Time left until Obama leaves office...

570 days....10 hours....38 minutes....09 seconds....and counting !!
  11. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Claudio !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...

Enjoy the forum.
  12. The X Bolt I believe is one of the world’s best rifles. The Dura Touch Stock which will stay on Models it was introduced in but all 2019 introductions will be of improved stocks. However with a modicum of care and attention will keep even Dura Touch stocks better, certainly avoid solvents and DEET with those. Wooden stocks are much tougher than people give them credit for. As a former LT Colonel in the Army I got to see synthetic stocks and I cannot say their track record was that good. The synthetic stocks are frankly cheap. Some are much better than others. The care you have discussed should avoid any major problems. I have restocked some with Boyd Black Laminate Pararie Hunter and they are really then tough as any stock ever made. The Stainless Steel Stalker looks really impressive that way. So my advice is hunt with it in Penns Woods and if someday you had to replace it with a Black Laminate Stock it would last a couple of lifetimes. Your rifle has many great features! Hopefully it shoots really well. Get it sighted in, and go for it!
    Last edited: May 8, 2018
    cupton likes this.