Damaged stock finish

Discussion in 'Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Trou' started by lead-fouling, Jun 28, 2015.

1. lead-fouling

lead-fouling .22LR

Packing so many guns into such a tight safe means that a couple of them have damage to the stock where it's rubbed against the safe edges.
    :(

Anyways, it's my favourite gun the humble citori 525 with the satin walnut finish. The finish has come off exposing the underlying wood.

How would you repair it? I've refinished stocks before I've never tried to touch up a finish, I love the browning finishes so durable I'd love to repair it to that standard.

Worst case scenario I pay for a professional re-finish.

I'll post a picture when I get home.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Yes, please post pics so we can assess the extent of the damage...
  3. lead-fouling

lead-fouling .22LR

Unfortunately the images were too large to upload to the site so I created can imgur album.
    http://imgur.com/a/cJMYg

You can see various knocks (from gunsafe usgae) as well as the main issue the chipped off wood near the recoil pad.
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

I do know that dings that aren't too deep can be raised with a steam iron covering the stock with a washrag/towel...

Google that...
  5. lead-fouling

lead-fouling .22LR

Yeah I might try that I redid a stock for practice and managed to get the dings and dimples out with hot water and a resend but I don't want to take the browning finish off because I've found if so robust.

It seems impenetrable mud, rain or oil!

Anyways I might try sealing that chip and hidden areas with some truoil
  6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Start a thread if you plan on doing that LF...
  7. lead-fouling

lead-fouling .22LR

I think I will, but first I need something to fill in for it, once I get my auto I will. Don't really fancy the auto I have at the moment.
  8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Copy that...