Who hunts with a BAR

Discussion in 'Browning BAR Rifle' started by Eagle Rider, May 24, 2015.

1. let's get some hunting opinions for the BAR. Interesting that on Memorial Day Weekend the BAR would come up in a thread. Anyway, I'm planning on using my Longtrac 270 Win this coming fall for NYS whitetails. Honestly I'm a bit apprehensive, It is the nicest looking rifle I own and I don't want to scuff it up hunting. I also don't want to be the owner of a safe queen either.
  2. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger .270 WIN

My backup elk rifle is a Belgium BAR in 308
    I take a backup even though my Rem 700ti has never let me down
  3. what is the 700ti chambered in?
  4. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger .270 WIN

My TI is 30-06
    [​IMG]
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  5. That's a nice rifle. Definitely on the wish list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. rawright

rawright .22LR

All I hunt with my BAR Safari .30-06 is steel plates and paper targets, though I'm looking forward to trying some 500 - 1000 yard targets. I don't think I'd waste the .30-06 on anything less than elk; it's probably overkill, and like yours, my gun is too darned pretty to risk. Besides, it's so heavy that it would get tedious to carry real fast.

On the other hand, my BLR is chambered in .243 Win, which is plenty for deer, and it weighs almost nothing. It's a gorgeous work of art, too, but safe queens aren't any good to anyone. I recently bought a 50th Anniversary Collectors Edition Ruger 10/22 for $179.99 in the silly thinking that it will someday be worth a bunch, and the 10/22 I already have (and rarely shoot) cost me a lot more. After some serious thinking I realized that my hope of appreciation is probably a pipe dream; they probably made a 'limited' run of 100 million copies which, if I keep it in a safe for 200 years it will one day be worth $180.00. Heck with it, I'm shooting it, and hanging the special metal plate that shipped with it on the wall.

My guns get shot, and if they get a little wear on them, so what. I've got signs of a little wear on me, and I'm better than ever!
  7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Yea...while I'm a "collector" of all types of firearms, the main reasons I own them is for hunting and self protection.
  8. Shawn Healy

Shawn Healy Copper BB

Hunt the gun. I took a 12 point 142 last year with my 1968 Browning BAR 30-06. Shot was 60 yards or less. One shot and straight down. That close and that big I did not have a problem with hitting the buck. However, I am looking to "dial in" the groups. But to your question, hunt the gun. The way I see it... every hunt increases characteristic and story. We were born to experience life which includes ups and downs / we all have scars of some kind... In the the same way hunting guns were born (made) to hunt. They will have a few scars and that becomes part of the story as well. Now with the BAR's and hunting them one thing to keep in mind is cleaning and oiling... My Grandfather would clean and oil his guns a couple of times a year. With the BAR's you need to keep the gas system cleaned especially if you practice a lot. Good hunting!
  9. rhino

rhino Copper BB

If you really enjoy the rifle then use it, get that first scratch and then it's just more relaxing fun for you.
  10. Planetcat

Planetcat .410

Hunt with it and shoot a monster! You will then appreciate any battle scars on it and have a great story for them.