M1 GARAND

Discussion in 'Long Guns' started by SHOOTER13, May 30, 2011.

1. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

My Springfield Armory M1 Garand...built in November of 1944. It is shown with an original M1942 16" bayonet and a M7 grenade launcher with fragmentation grenade holder and frag grenade.

[​IMG]

The M1 Garand is officially designated as United States Rifle, Caliber .30, M1 and was the first gas-operated semi-automatic "en-bloc" clip-fed rifle to be generally issued to the infantry of any nation.

Called "the greatest battle implement ever devised" by General George S. Patton, the Garand officially replaced the bolt-action M1903 Springfield as the standard service rifle of the United States Armed Forces in 1936 and was subsequently replaced by the selective fire M14 in 1957.

2. LAZY EYED SNIPER

LAZY EYED SNIPER Global Moderator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Here's the Garand my Pop has had for years...

[​IMG]

The serial number tracks the date of manufacture to somewhere between June/July 1942...
  3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Awesome SNIPER...!!

Here's a timeline of what was happening in June / July 1942, when your M1 was manufactured

June 1942

Date

18: Manhattan Project is started, the beginning of a scientific approach to nuclear weapons.
    : Winston Churchill arrives in Washington for meetings with Roosevelt.
    : The siege of Tobruk intensifies; some defending forces are pulled back to Egypt.
    21: Afrika Korps recaptures Tobruk, with 35,000 men captured; the road to Egypt is now open as the British retreat deep into Egypt. Tobruk's loss is a grievous blow to British morale. German land forces have been assisted by Luftwaffe attacks.
    23: Marsa Matruh, Egypt falls to Rommel, about 140 miles from Alexandria.
    24: British fall back to El Alamein, 60 miles from Alexandria, for a "final stand".
    25: General Eisenhower arrives in London ready to assume the post of Commander of American forces in Europe.
    : Another massive "Thousand Bomber" raid, this time on Bremen; the raiders suffer grievous losses.
    26: The Germans drive toward Rostov.
    27: Doomed convoy PQ17 sets sail from Iceland; only 11 of 37 ships will survive.
    28: Operation Blue, the German plan to capture Stalingrad and the Soviet Union oil fields in the Caucasus, begins. Generally, forces are shifted to the South.
    30: Rommel reaches El Alamein.
    : United States of America deploys II Corps to the European Theater.

July 1942

Date

1: First Battle of El Alamein begins as Rommel begins first assault on British defences.
    : Sevastopol falls to the Germans; the end of Red Army resistance in the Crimea.
    2: Churchill survives a censure motion in the House of Commons.
    : Allies experience heavy June losses of shipping to U-boats, including those of PQ17.
    3: Guadalcanal is now firmly in the hands of the Japanese.
    4: First air missions by American Air Force in Europe.
    11: Rommel's forces are now stalemated before El Alamein, largely because of a lack of ammunition.
    17: Battle of Stalingrad begins

===========================================================
  4. LAZY EYED SNIPER

LAZY EYED SNIPER Global Moderator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Thankd Shooter, great info!
  5. Doug in Alaska

Doug in Alaska Copper BB

Gotta love the Garand!! Here's mine.

[​IMG]
  6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Very nice Doug...what's the history on it ?

Manufacturer...

Date of Birth...
  7. Doug in Alaska

Doug in Alaska Copper BB

This is a CMP Special. Very nice rifle!
  8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

OK...

Do you know the manufacturer...? ( Springfield...Winchester...International Harvester...Harrington & Richardson )

Do you know the date it was made....? ( pre WWII...WWII...Post WWII )
  9. Doug in Alaska

Doug in Alaska Copper BB

Don't have a clue, just know I really like this rifle!
  10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Well...if you would PM me a picture of the receiver near the buttstock where the info such as manufacturer and serial number are located...

I could look it up for you...it's a piece of history that should be documented !!